Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually set up the ironing board every morning to press something to wear to work. Today I burned my inner forearm on the iron reaching across for something on the counter. I didn't realize how bad the burn until a little later. In telling my co-workers they more surprised that I iron than the burn. This started the morning off with the "girls" discussing ironing vs. the clothes dryer.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Perminate Press...

Best thing invented since pants.

I only really use my Iron to press the seams and smooth wrinkles when I'm quilting.

If my clothes get wrinkly, I dump them in the dryer with a wet washcloth.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I haven't used my iron in years - ha! I wear scrubs to work and they never need ironing - THANK GOD since I hate ironing. My hubby wears jeans and sweatshirts to work and they dont' need it either.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
When I worked outside the home, and in an office type setting, I always used one of those tall upright steamers. I hated ironing! But now, working from home, the kitties don't care if my clothes are wrinkly. :p If I go out to a session, it's usually just jeans, and a black polo shirt/sweatshirt.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I grew up with June Cleaver. If it was fabric my mother ironed it, even stuff like our bedsheets and my dad's undershirts. Much to her horror I do NOT iron. It drives her crazy ;)

If I'm crafting/sewing/quilting I'll put it out but I'd never buy a shirt/pants I had to iron :p

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I'm pretty small and often times it's easier to buy children's clothes. Especially shoes! My friends crack up when I go to buy a pair of cheapo sneakers. I buy them in the Children's dept. of Walmart (If I can find some that aren't Disney themed).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Nope. I don't have the time/energy. I find as long as I hang my clothes up fresh out of the dryer, they tend to stay sufficiently wrinkle-free for my liking.

Of course the sorts of clothes I wear to work are pretty casual anyway. I'm not sure if I could get away with that if I had to wear suit pants and stuff.

·
Registered
226 Posts
iron everyday... when i get my dress shirts for work from dry cleaning, they still have wrinkles when i bring home so i have to iron the wrinkles!! all my dress pants i iron every day before i wear to go to work.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm pretty small and often times it's easier to buy children's clothes. Especially shoes! My friends crack up when I go to buy a pair of cheapo sneakers. I buy them in the Children's dept. of Walmart (If I can find some that aren't Disney themed).
Yeah, I have the oposite problem. I'm 6'1" and wear size 12 in women's shoes. I sometimes have to resort to wearing men's sneakers because most stores only carry up to a 10 1/2. I have to go to certain stores to get dress shoes.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I sympathize! I'm 5 feet and very petite, and wear somewhere between a 5-6 in shoes. :[ I had to buy kids jeans until I graduated college. Even now I often shop in the teen section if I need to buy a dress or something.

On the plus side, it means I can still wear all my dorky Disney shirts that I've had since I was a kid, since they all still fit. XD

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
I haven't seen my iron since I moved this last time. LOVE permanent press. :grin:

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
wear somewhere between a 5-6 in shoes.
Yeah, I'm 4-5 in shoes. We went on a cruise years ago and we were ported in Puerto Rico. I had to stop and pick something up quick at Kmart and I swung by the shoe section. I don't if Latino women are tiny but they had a HUGE variety of small shoe sizes. I came home with over a dozen pairs of shoes.
... it means I can still wear all my dorky Disney shirts that I've had since I was a kid, since they all still fit. XD
OMG, me too! LOL. My favorite sleep shirt EVER is from the Disney movie 'The Fox and the Hound.' I got it back in the early 80's. :p

Now that I've dated myself with a 30 year old shirt....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
MowMow- I don't know about all Latino women being tiny, but I can tell you that I am sort of the giant of my family at 5'4." LOL- I think it comes from my dad's "giant genes" since he is about 5'11." His younger brother claims to be 5'8," but we swear he's not an inch over 5'6" (with a 6' wife)! Oh, and my father is Mexican by the way; I am only half.

I rarely iron if I can help it because I have a nasty habit of scorching my dress pants :( Most days I just throw my clothes in the dryer, perhaps misting them with a wrinkle releaser if the wrinkles are particularly bad. I know it's not very green of me, but clothes are too expensive for me to regularly ruin them.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
OMG, me too! LOL. My favorite sleep shirt EVER is from the Disney movie 'The Fox and the Hound.' I got it back in the early 80's. :p

Now that I've dated myself with a 30 year old shirt....
I still have this 101 Dalmations shirt that I got in kindergarten. Back then I'd wear it as a night shirt because it was huge. Now it comfortably fits me as a t-shirt!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Much to my mother's chagrin, I don't iron. I'm just too lazy. I'll do the "toss in the dryer with a wet something else" if I have to look nice for public like a doctor appointment, or church. Otherwise I don't care if I look grungy... the grocery store and the cat shelter are about the only other places I go.

However, now that I'm in the SCA and need to make garb, it's good to iron out fabric so that the fold-wrinkles don't mess up your measurements of patterns. So I guess I'll have to start doing that, at least.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts