Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread started a few days ago titled "Do you think you have ADD?" and that got me thinking "I wonder how many out there are OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) like I am."

I've never been formally diagnosed with it but I'm pretty sure that's what you'd call it. Certain things in my life just have to be a certain way.

For instance,

1. When I was working as a medical transcriptionist all my reference books had to be lined in up alphabetical order in the bookends to my left. Whenever I would need to look something up I would take out a book, look at it and put it back right away. I knew others at the office who could let books just pile up beside them but not me.

2. When I am eating a meal I generally take a bite of the meat, then the starch (potato, pasta, rice), then the vegetable and rotate accordingly. I also don't like to have foods touching each other on the plate, unless they're meant to be mixed together. When I drink a can of soda I almost always drink out of the same glass and have to have ice in the glass.

3. I have a lot of music CDs. I have all of these lined up in alphabetical order first and then chronological order if I have multiple CDs from the same artist. My husband used to love to pick on that one while we were dating. He would come over to my place and if I was in the bathroom or something he would deliberately mess them up. But it never took me long to realize they weren't in their proper place. I'd usually have it figured out a couple minutes after getting back to the living room and put them back where I had them.

4. When I decorate the walls in the house, pictures and other things going with it are usually organized in a symmetrical pattern. When I place decorations on a shelf things are usually designed by height - the tallest items being in the middle of the shelve and working my way outside to the shortest items.

I'm really only OCD about certain areas in my life. There's lots of things I could care less about as far as organization is concerned. You should see my closets! :roll: Not only that, with babies in the house now it's kind of hard to keep things organized all the time. It just defeats the purpose. I'll get my house back someday - when the kids are all grown up and have a place of their own! :lol:

EDIT: One more thing I'm obsessive about - proofreading my posts on the Cat Forum. First I preview it, then after I submit I read it again and if there is something I don't like or think I should add I have to do that. :roll:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
nah, you're not OCD! There are a lot of things I'm very particular about, too, but everyone has those. We are all different, but have a lot of preferences in common!

If you had OCD, there wouldn't be any question about it. You would get stuck in patterns that you felt "trapped" in. It's not something that you have control over and that affects just CERTAIN areas of your life. Your WHOLE life is impacted by OCD. The acronym is one that we have all started just tossing around when we often mean to say "particular." The real disorder, itself, is not one that we would talk about so lightly. It is a battle every day to try to take control of your actions and behaviours, rather than being ruled by them.

Someone being very neat or particular about their food not touching are common behaviours. I don't like my food to touch, either. I also have my CDs in a particular order and notice RIGHT AWAY if anything is missing or messed up, my closets are colour coordinated coordinated within the colours, my bookcases are organized by colour.... But, the key word there is "PARTICULAR." We all have our preferences for how things should be. It is how we take control of our world. OCD is a lot more complicated than just how you like to arrange things on shelves, your plate, your bookcase, or in your CD holder. The behaviours of OCD aren't choices we make. They are compulsions that we can't help without help.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't mean to offend anyone who may have been diagnosed with clinical OCD but I honestly believe that there are varying levels of it. For instance, it may affect one person in the area of cleanliness - cleaning everything all the time, washing hands constantly, etc. Another may be effected by patterns and notice things like brick layouts, ceiling tiles, sidewalk squares, etc.

Maybe I'm wrong and I am just picky in some areas. I just know that it bugs the heck out of me if those "particulars" that I spoke about are messed up and I consider that to be a mild form of OCD, not clinical. There are many other "particulars" that I have that I didn't even get into. That's another reason I considered OCD. As my husband says, maybe I'm just anal. :lol:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Laffs sounds more like Autism to me ;) The guy behind till at Asda the other week asked if I was autistic or something because I line up and stack my shopping on conveyor belt in an odd way - not leaving any spaces :lol:

I wouldn't worry about it tho... if you had OCD it'd be a lot worse... Like, you would feel like world would end or someone would die if something wasn't it order.

One of my nursing portfolios was on OCD... there are various types but not necessarily recognised "degrees" of OCD... However they do say that some people have Obsessive Compulsive Personailties and that sounds more like what you are describing

Hayley x x

·
Registered
589 Posts
I throw around the OCB term as well. I am not sure if I have it or not but I have noticed my mom & brother have it as well.

The one thing is the organization thing, where I have to have everything straight not even in particular order just so they are not sticking out and going in the same direction.

Another thing is that I repeat myself or asking a question one more time just to make sure. I would already know the answer but I had this feeling inside that made me have to ask it again to feel better. After I ask the question I would be fine. I really don't know if it's OCB or just anal behavior

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't think I have OCD, but I have a couple of 'number' quirks...not so much anymore, but pretty obsessive about it as a kid:

For example: When I look(ed) at a digital clock, I wanted to find a numerical pattern: i.e. if it is 1:23, that is easy...it is in sequence and it is an addition pattern: 1+2=3. I used to be much worse about this, and only catch myself doing it sometimes. When I was a child (I had a very tough time with math, btw) and looked at a digital clock, if I couldn't find a pattern, I would continue to watch the clock, preferably without blinking, until it got to a number that I COULD find a pattern with. Yeah, weird. I really think that started when I was having trouble with my math classes and this was a practice for me. The faster I could find it, the more gratifying it was. :lol:

Now, when I get tense I sometimes tap my fingers on my palms or my thighs, one at a time in fours: starting with the thumb. This would end with the ring finger and begin the next round with the pinky, which would end with the middle finger, etc...and I wouldn't stop until I got to end on the pinky. Then, I repeat. It is VERY annoying and I don't usually realize I am doing it...but by the time I do, I have to finish...God forbid that I skip a finger or lose count...then I have to start all over. I will be amazed if my description of this one makes any sense at all. :wink: btw...this does nothing to alleviate tension or stress...it makes it worse. :roll:

That said, I am generally sane. :crazy :lol:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The thing about OCD is it controls your life.
The classic example is people who have to go back and check things over and over again even though they "know" they've checked them. This gets to the point where the checking takes so much time you have no time for anything else.
Example:
Doors being locked. You never actually get around to leaving the house because you keep having to go back and recheck to make sure you've locked the doors. When you try to leave, you need to go back again because you're not "sure" you locked that ONE door.

I think everyone has a touch of control behaviors, but the difference is if you can still function or not.

I know when I go on a trip for a few days I have to make a list of everything I need to do before I leave. Simple things like turn off coffee pot, front door locked, garage door down, lights off, ect... are on that list. When I've completed the task, I physically cross it off the list. If I don't do this, I spend my entire vacation worried that I've left the garage door open, or the coffee pot on :roll: But once I've crossed it off of my list, then I'm okay.
That is strange, but not OCD. If I had OCD even the list wouldn't be enough.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I agree that a lot of us have a touch of OCD, at least about certain things.

At work, I need to be extremely organized and efficient, otherwise chaos ensues. Those of us who are successful at this job tend to be control freaks and show great attention to detail. We have had several employees who, while good nurses, were just a little too laid-back. We have to double check ourselves and be very detail oriented, or things get missed.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Jennifer2!

I do the exact same thing with lists before traveling...including the "turn off coffee pot" "check that dishwasher is empty and not set to a dry cycle" "check blinds" "check doors" "water plants" "clean out van" "pack suitcases in van", etc...
Then I have my other lists: among them is a packing list which lists EACH and EVERY thing that I think I *may* need. I have been known to take two large suitcases for a 3 day trip...you never know if you may need *whatever*. Plus, I usually take two different types of shampoo, which is really strange, because I have very long hair and usually only wash it once or twice a week. I don't think I have ever washed it during one of these trips. And the trip? It's to my mom's house...as if she won't have shampoo! I will also take about 4 pairs of shoes. Remember: a 3 day trip!

LOL! It's nice to know that I am not the only one who is list-anal. :p

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You cannot have "a touch" of OCD. You either have it or you don't. This is what I was talking about: we have replaced saying "particular" or "nit-picky" with saying we have "a touch of OCD." I've been guilty of it, too, before I understood what individuals with OCD actually go through on a day-to-day basis.

Read this from http://www.anxieties.com/ocd.php:

Obsessions are repetitive, unproductive thoughts that almost all of us have experienced from time to time. We can be driving down the road, ten minutes from home, heading for a week's vacation. Suddenly the thought enters our mind, "Did I unplug the iron after I finished with that shirt?" Then we think, "I must have...but I don't know, I was rushing around so at the last minute. Did I reach down and pull the cord out of the socket? I can't remember. Was the iron light still on as I walked out the door? No, it was off. Was it? I can't leave it on all week; the house will burn down. This is ridiculous!" Eventually we either turn around and head home to check as the only way to feel relieved, or we convince ourselves that we did indeed take care of the task.

This is an example of what can take place inside the mind of any of us when worrying about a particular problem.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder, however, is much more serious. In the mind of the person with obsessive-compulsive disorder, this pattern of thought is exaggerated, highly distressing and persistent.

Also, see this excellent sitehttp://www.ocfoundation.org/ocf1010a.htm:

Worries, doubts, superstitious beliefs all are common in everyday life. However, when they become so excessive such as hours of hand washing or make no sense at all such as driving around and around the block to check that an accident didn't occur then a diagnosis of OCD is made. In OCD, it is as though the brain gets stuck on a particular thought or urge and just can't let go. People with OCD often say the symptoms feel like a case of mental hiccups that won't go away.

The point is that you perform certain Compulsions because you have a certain unreasonable Obsession.

Link to the site if you'd like more info. Happy learning! :)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yeah, my list seems to be getting bigger on every trip I go on. It used to be just things like water plants, give key to neighbor, ect.... Now it literally has everything I need to do. Turn of lights, lock doors, garage light off, garage door down.... Mine is all about safely leaving my house here, not about what I need to have where I'm going.

I also have some rituals that I must do before leaving the house for work.
I count all 4 animals to make sure they're inside (like the cats have every stepped outside a day in their life :roll: ), I also have to physically say outloud, "garage door down"-once I see it go down, as I'm leaving my house. On more than one occasion I've gotten a few blocks from home and had to go back to make sure it was down. Even though I've NEVER not put it down.
Same with Korbel's insulin. I always double check to make sure I put it back in the fridge before I leave for work, again, I've NEVER left it out but I just have horrible images of the cat's knocking it off the counter and the dogs getting ahold of it.

I still say these are quirks, not OCD.

I think OCD is a term that is thrown around alot, but I don't think any of the above stuff is OCD in it's technical sense. OCD is a serious phycological disorder, not just habits or control freak stuff, or perfectionism. At least not until it interferes with you living your life.

Jennifer

·
Registered
452 Posts
I absolutely agree, Jennifer.

I have quite a few odd quirks, but certainly am not affected by OCD, nor have I ever even suspected it. My quirks get more pronounced when I am stressed (I will sometimes stay up all night cleaning, or something of that nature). Doesn't make me less stressed....just more tired :p

I have seen a few programs with people who suffer with OCD and it is absolutely exhausting to watch even the most simple rituals. I can't imagine what it would be like to live with such a thing. :(

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've been diagnosed as having OCD, but it's basically a coping mechanism I seem to have devoloped to "help me" with my anxiety disorder - I'm a counter, and so I have all sorts of odd superstitions concerning numbers. I have to cound to eight when walking up and down stairs, or I will have a heart attack. (Yes, I know it's not logical....*shrug*)
I have to touch my thumb to my fingers five times before I leave my house, or something bad will happen to me.
Those are two that I still do, but I've become much better due to medication. I used to stand by the side of the road counting certain brands of cars, and couldn't go to work until I got to a certain number of cars, so there were many times I'd be late for work.
I'd also sometimes "have" to see a cat on my way to work, or something bad would happen, so I'd be desperately looking out the window of the bus into peoples windows...I'd take a longer bus route in a more residential area to have more of a chance of seeing a cat. For some reason, in my mind, if I didn't do those things, something bad would happen.
I also have what is called OCD thoughts, where basically I have terrifying horrible thoughts that I cannot get out of my head, and that just replay themselves over and over....
Again, because of my medication, I rarely get them anymore unless I am in high stress situations, as well as the counting of cars, or seeing a cat...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe there are various degrees of OCD.

I started having symptoms a few years ago, like repetetive thoughts in mind about doors locked, oven off, hand washing, turning off the lights. The worst of it was when I kept turning the lights on and off literally about a hundered times before going to bed because I wasn't "sure" if they were off. When I realized that this was wrong, I beat it. When I had a thought like that , I would say to myself: "this is not a rational thought, this is a compulsive thought, therefore I will not follow it". After a while it stopped, and I never appreciated more the fact that I can just flick off the light switch once and go to bed.

Sometimes it comes and goes, I did notice it is a little stronger when I'm hungry. Most of the time I check things once though.

I think that if I hadn't stopped myself then, it would have been worse, so if you start having these thoughts/symptoms, its better to stop it while its not so bad. I fully believe its curable if there is enough willpower.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts