Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend told me she tips the maid at the hotel whenever she goes out of town -- I've never heard that before, but it does make sense. I'm sure they make very little money and work very hard.

So, do you tip the maid?

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
When we go out of town, we put up the sign that says Do Not Disturb. We don't want anyone coming in and messing with our stuff or stealing it and plus we clean up most messes ourselves. I never see the maid and then we checkout in the morning so my answer is no. I do tip the luggage guy and everyone else who performs a service :D

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
kitkat said:
When we go out of town, we put up the sign that says Do Not Disturb. We don't want anyone coming in and messing with our stuff or stealing it and plus we clean up most messes ourselves. I never see the maid and then we checkout in the morning so my answer is no.
We do the EXACT same thing. And we travel with the cats a lot, I don't want anyone messing with our animals.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Even though the maid doesn't always clean up while you are there they are the ones that get the room ready for you and clean it up after you leave. I am sure they have to deal with some pretty gross things day to day (imagine what could potentially be left on sheets, toilets, in garbage cans). They don't make much money (not that I do but..) I always make a point to leave something.

That $3 you stick in the motel vending machine or spend on some cheap souvenier could really brighten the maid's day and make them feel appreciated.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My husband and I haven't really traveled much, but I think generally I will leave some kind of tip.
My dad was a banker and whenever we went on family vacations, he always got a kick out taking a bunch of new $2 bills and leaving them for tips.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Here is a page on proper tipping etiquette
http://www.tipping.org/tips/TipsPageTipsUS.html
They say 5/night for a maid.
You might want to check with the hotel. Some hotels are going the way of restaurants and including tips as part of the bill. Obviously you can pay more if you want, but it might already be included in your bill. The last hotel I stayed at had a 15% gratuity added to the bill.

Jennifer

·
Registered
998 Posts
I ALWAYS tip the maid and sometimes I'll leave them a few bucks too! Most of the time though I just give them some handy tips on better work flow practices. :wink: ( Just kidding) (I can hear the boos now)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did a housekeeping job at the Hampton Inn one summer when I was in college and if there was one tip a week between all six of the housekeepers it was a good week. Virtually no one tipped. I was very surprised. I didn't expect a lot but a buck a person would have been nice. So needless to say, I do make a point of tipping.

Kel

·
Registered
998 Posts
manitu22 said:
Honestly Clint when I saw you had replied to this thread I had expected worse. I won't go into detail.....
Ohhhh, I LOVE details!! Ask ANYONE! :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts