Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does your cat communicate with you?

When your cats want to communicate something to you, do they use body language, sounds, other?

When Prince wants his jowls scratched, he scratches my cheek gently in the same motion. Princess kneads my arm in a fast motion like trying to grab my hand, then puts the top of her head under my hand and presses up. Nikita was always a stray till half a year ago, so she's still learning what works and what doesn't to communicate with me. And she's still finding her voice (other than to warn other cats), which she had never needed or developed before.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't. Only the slow blink. Is it a good idea to use more? I mean, I see they make such big efforts to communicate with me in ways I'm used to, maybe I should return the favor?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
i'd like to say i do, but most people would say it's just swearing like a longshoreman.

nah, i do talk to them. and sing. and whistle. and play games. i made up a whole language but it's too embarrassing to tell anyone who can understand words lol.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Murphy and I communicate constantly, which I think is about tone more than anything. "Want to go upstairs?", and he shoots for the stairs. "Gotta make noise now," and he stays where he is instead of running scared out of the room. "Brush?", and he lies down to be brushed. "Where's Murphy?" and he saunters into the room.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Whenever I talk to my cats, they waggle their tails. It doesn't when & what I talk, or what tone I was using (as long as it's not yelling), they will waggle their tails after each sentence. So I don't know if that is counted as "communication"...

·
Registered
979 Posts
My partner has entire conversations that go like this,

"Hi-o- Io Pie-o"
"Meow"
"Good. How're you?"
"Meow"
"Oh, sorry. But it's not dinner time yet."
"Mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrow"
"I don't make the rules! You ate an hour ago!"
"Meow"
"Go ask mom"
"Meow"
"I know, but don't say it to her face"
"Mrrrr-chirp"
"hahahahahahahahaha! You're right, she DOES look like that"

>:[

·
Registered
979 Posts
Could we get a "beginner's Guide to Cat-welsh", Morty? I'd love that!

(my gramps gave me a "Mr. Goglais" book when I was little and I love it and still have it all these years later)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would love to help!

penaethiaid cath- would mean cat-head or lover? a person who spends time with cats?

Wfftitwff- when is used for brushing, like if to calm down?

mafon- is word not used for meaning, but generally in context of eating. example when i call to my cats for eating i call "mafon" and they have understood is also calming

i dy garu di- means, " i love you" perhaps in welsh they might understand better

coblyn- I say to cats when they have misbehaved

cysgu tylwyth teg- for time to sleep

goeden yn sefyll- suggests a waiting

isod dy Swyfach- in relation to welsh flood myth with animals (in similar to noah?) in offering honor and respect

wyneb- affection

In addition I have much affection for Goglais :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
If my cat wants table food, he will walk over, roll on his back, put his paws in the air and do this "brrrrpppmeoww" noise. It's SO cute, and he knows sometimes it works...lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
If she's demanding something, she stares and stands firm, almost a defensive stance, and either kind of meow-squeals, or does that quiet EH EH EH noise.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Miley doesn't talk a lot, unless one of the kids picks her up and she yells for me to come rescue her. Ollie says MMMMMRRRRROOOOOOOWWWWWW!!! really loud from in the kitchen if I forget to give him a treat at night after the kids go to bed and before I sit down to catch up on my shows. I don't know how we got in this habit, I think I was trying to lure them away from the kids' rooms at one point because the cats wouldn't let them sleep. That's where all the cool toys are.

I talk to the cats, I say things like, Excuse me ma'am but do you think maybe I could use this counter you're sleeping on? Or No, Sir Oliver, you may not have a cup of coffee. (sticks his head in my coffee cup) No, you can't even have a drink of mine. It will stunt your growth. My husband is like those cats can't hear you. I say, Um, they can HEAR just fine. He says well you think they understand what you're saying? Yes, partly, but does it really matter?

·
Banned
198 Posts
I talk to Artie all the time!
Either in English or in Cat Language..
If he talks to me in meow's, I imitate him and we go back and forth! It is as if he is teaching me a new language, but I do not know what it means!
I sometimes just meow, and he looks at me. as if to say "What ever are you trying to say?"
I talk to him in English---he knows, esp when I clap my hands and say "time to eat! nyum-nyum time!" or "Artie want yum-yums?"
He also understands--"let's go" (bedtime) and "time for bed"--he runs into the bedroom waiting for me!
Artie also understands, "want to go out?" --on the balcony, and
"ok, lets go in" he goes right up to the door and waits for me to open it!
I talk to him all the time...he seems to like the sound of my voice....talk about him, life, yes--I am a crazy old cat lady!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am always communicating with my cat's & they understand lot's of what I am saying to them, I also communicate using eye movement

I sing to them which they seem to like & depending on what tone I use they either get excited or affectionate, bless them eh? :)

they communicate with me through eye movement, body language & also sound but they havent learnt to sing yet hehe

·
Registered
110 Posts
I do the slow blink with all cats because it's "international" as it were.

With my cat I mimic her sounds...

Because some sounds she makes are easy for me to make. Like EH EH EH when she's doing the "sad beggar" bit. I haven't used it on her for any specific reasons yet, but we'll see if I ever do, what she does. Maybe I'll try using it to get her to come over to me....

Then another sound she makes seriously sounds like "HELLLOOoooooo"!
UPdowwwwwwn.... lol.... so when she makes that noise I either do it too or say HELLLOoooooooo....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I talk to Artie all the time!
Either in English or in Cat Language..
If he talks to me in meow's, I imitate him and we go back and forth! It is as if he is teaching me a new language, but I do not know what it means!
I sometimes just meow, and he looks at me. as if to say "What ever are you trying to say?"
I talk to him in English---he knows, esp when I clap my hands and say "time to eat! nyum-nyum time!" or "Artie want yum-yums?"
He also understands--"let's go" (bedtime) and "time for bed"--he runs into the bedroom waiting for me!
Artie also understands, "want to go out?" --on the balcony, and
"ok, lets go in" he goes right up to the door and waits for me to open it!
I talk to him all the time...he seems to like the sound of my voice....talk about him, life, yes--I am a crazy old cat lady!
lol I love that....
I'm certain Tutu knows 3 words: NO!, Tutu, and mousie.
Unfortunately, unlike a dog, when she hears "mousie" she does not go searching for it, but rather looks around lazily to see if it's in the general vicinity.
Lazy girl.
She also understands my hand signal of doing "jazz fingers" toward the floor if I want her to come to me - but I had another cat understand that one too, so I'm not sure if it works as a general signal to cats, much like dogs would understand....

And yes, I think cats do come to like the sound of their mom's voices. Particularly if they get all high and squeaky...... LOL.... ;D

But really, Tutu talks to me constantly - it would be rude to not talk back.
Sometimes I SWEAR she gets FRUSTRATED when I don't understand her when she is being demanding about something.
When she does the I WANT SOMETHING NOW stance/look/sound, but if I don't understand, she sulks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
my cat's know these word's for sure:

din din's (dinner time)

play play's (play time)

cuddles

sweeties (treats)

hoovies (hoover)

they each know their own name's

Teddy hate's the hoover so I always tell them when I am going to hoover, I say "mummy gon do hoovies now" & Teddy look's at me with his ear's back, run's into our bedroom & hide's under the quilt, when I have finished I say "all finished now", put the hoover away then go & give Teddy kisses & tell him he is a big brave boy lol, a couple time's I have forgot to go into to him & a while later I wonder where is Teddy & he is still under the quilt waiting for me to let him know the hoovering is definitely finished lol funny boy

I can tell from the different sound's & body language what each cat is wanting most time's, but they are really just like human babie's if they cry they either want food, play time or cuddle's :)

Tulah is the only one of my cat's that is quiet, I have NEVER heard her meow ever, if she is unhappy about something she will squeak, if she is happy she purrs, she growl's & hisses when she is mad but never meow's

the other 3 are very vocal especially Teddy who always has something to say about everything lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
I certainly make little cat pirrups to them and return their various hoots, chirps and assorted flutings.

I also do the blinking thing and the intense loving eye gaze, that makes them come or gets them rolling around on the floor.

I fear I also use lots of human nonsense words as well as praise and stop words.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
pretty easy to understand Angel.

peeking her head around the bathroom door in the morning = "are you through yet? i've been waiting for breakfast for like an hour now."

peering up at me while i'm standing at the stove = "mmm! i know i just ate, but that smells good. can i have some?"

staring down at me after she's crawled onto my chest at 2 am = "oh, did i wake you? well, then. start massaging me! i'll just lie down right here."

leaping out of my grasp when i'm trying to brush her = "what the !%$#? enough already! geez!"

that wary, head tilted back look = "watch it...come any closer and i swear you will SO regret it..."

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I'm learning Robin's vo-cat-bu-lary,but it's not easy,he's such a fast-paced cat!

sitting stiff with whiskers out= there's something around he doesn't like

a below-human-hearing growl in presence of female=AMORE!

lounging at top of stairs while making intense eye contact=welcome back,paPAW. You DID remember the cat food,DIDN'T YOU?

pause while bathing=I can't decide whether to nap,eat,attack daddy's feet,or go bird-watching!

Holding my chin in his paws=luvya daddy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts