Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a message today from our vet office that our cats haven't had shots in 2 years and wanting to know if we planned to bring them in for vaccinations. I hadn't been planning to...they are 100% indoor (we're in an apartment) and their chances of getting outside are very slim (they're actually afraid of the balcony door and run away when we open it to go on the balcony). We rarely have contact with other animals and if we are at someone's house who has pets, we make sure to wash our hands well before touching our cats, so I feel like there's little chance of them picking anything up. I was planning to take them for a checkup, to get weighed, etc, and I will get their rabies shots as apparently it's municipal law that they need them every year, but I'm curious as to whether most indoor cat owners get the other vaccinations.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My kittens got all the inital shots. However, from now on, I will only get them the rabies vaccine (and only because it's required). I don't think they need all the extra vaccines when they stay inside. The only time they go outside is when in a carrier to go to the vet or to my mom's house. Giving them additional vaccines just exposes them to complications and vaccine related tumors and all that other stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine are all vaccinated because I bring in fosters. Even though the fosters stay sequestered until they are vet checked, I take the precaution since the chance of exposure is higher. If I didn't have the fosters, I'm not sure. I would do Rabies (as required) but I would be less inclined to do any other vaccinations.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies! Our boys are just over 3 years old and had their initial kitten shots, then we had shots done in the summer of '09 when we first moved to this vet. They haven't had shots since and outside of rabies shots, I don't know that I'll ever get them vaccinated again. If I do, it certainly won't be every year. I figure humans don't get vaccines on a yearly basis so surely indoor cats don't need them. I'm sure we'll get a fight from the vet when we say no to the other shots, but I feel like this is best for our boys. :2kitties

·
Registered
59 Posts
Both of my cats are fully vaccinated every year. I know there is information out there about side effects of vaccines - have lived with the consequences on the human side of vaccinations. However, I feel like the benefit outweighs the risk to them and others. It also puts my mind at ease that both are protected with the vaccinations.

I also get them vaccinated...just in case they should ever get out. I know that you are saying that your kitties are afraid of the doors. Both of my cats are trained to not go out either (I have kids and occassionally a door gets left open in the excitement to go outside); however, there is always that slim chance that it could happen...

One of the posters on this forum right now is going through this. Her indoor cat somehow got out and now she can't find her. It's heartbreaking.

Please understand, I am not a poster board for vaccines. I am very weary of any vaccine and fully research it before I give it to my human or furbabies. I think we have too many even on the human side. You should see how many vaccines my kids have to get just to go to school! However, I think that the basic rabies, FIV booster, and distempter vaccines are the ones to have.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Even though mine are indoor/outdoor cats, they get the full whack of vaccines. Even if they were indoor only, they are required to be vaccinated by the insurance company - the insurance would be invalid without them. Having had expensive vet bills in the past, I can't afford for the insurance to lapse.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Please understand, I am not a poster board for vaccines. I am very weary of any vaccine and fully research it before I give it to my human or furbabies. I think we have too many even on the human side. You should see how many vaccines my kids have to get just to go to school! However, I think that the basic rabies, FIV booster, and distempter vaccines are the ones to have.

No kidding! It's crazy how many vaccines are required for kids these days. How did we make it through childhood alive? LOL

As for vaccines for furkids, it depends on the furkids. For Sasha and Rosalie, they get all recommended vaccines. However for Frodo and Arwen they get everything except FIP and FIV. Because their breeds have a predisposition for very bad reactions to those two vaccines, we don't give them. The vet we go to is supportive of this, and doesn't push us to get them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I keep up with vaccines. Many of the cat specific vets can tell you more 'reduced' schedules - I know mine only get some shots every few years.

Rabies is a bigger deal than many think if you live in an area with bats (and pretty much everywhere in the usa has bats). Bats and skunks apparently carry rabies more often than any other animal where I live and a startling number of bats get into homes and eventually get to kitties.

As for the other vaccines, I also foster so it is sort of a given to keep mine updated but having listened to the stories of so many emergencies, flooding, tornado whatever - I keep my girls up to date not for what I plan to have happen but for what I hope will never happen.

sorry to sound like a public service announcement but my head goes there

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cutie is an indoor cat only and dad was wondering why would she need her rabie vaccine when dose not go out besides dad lives in a apt.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Angel was vaccinated for the first two years, then I backed off on them as she was strictly an indoor cat and I was concerned with the risks involved. I also remember reading somewhere that due to complications from over vaccination the American Vet Association recommended vaccinating every 3 years rather then yearly. Our holistic vets here can run blood tests to test their anti bodies and immune response. I really like that as an alternative. Since she is over the 3 year mark, I will get her vaccinated shortly and will follow up with immune tests after that. Now that she's approaching 6 I think it's a good idea if I have annual blood work and urinalysis done each year. I'll just test her immune system while I'm at it and vaccinate according to those results.

However, I am seriously thinking of fostering in the near future so we'll see if that thought process changes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My vet vaccinates according to the schedule I set out. The only one we have to do is rabies because it's mandated here. Other than that, we talk about the pros and cons of the vaccinations, since Isis is an indoor only cat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts & replies! I may ask our vet about doing 3 year vaccinations. I did inquire about doing the tests to see how much immunity they still have but the vet tech said that would cost more than the vaccinations themselves so we didn't bother. I definitely want to take our boys for annual checkups/blood work at a bare minimum, and one of them will likely need to get knocked out for a teeth cleaning soon since his mouth is smelling pretty rank! He freaks out when we try to brush his teeth so that's a whole other issue we'll have to address :?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine are not all current, just the Beebs. But i know there is a vet associated with the Martha Stewart show that claims that cats don't need shots annually, just the kitten shots and thereafter it isn't good for them. I don't her name or her full plan on that since I believe she was talking about the annual shot not the rabies vaccination.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My 4 all got their initial kitten shots and boosters. We kept up on them their first 3 or so years, but after talking to my vet, they are on a three year rotation, rabies included. They are solely indoors and my vet even said 3 years is fine.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My 4 all got their initial kitten shots and boosters. We kept up on them their first 3 or so years, but after talking to my vet, they are on a three year rotation, rabies included. They are solely indoors and my vet even said 3 years is fine.
Same for us.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Bats and skunks apparently carry rabies more often than any other animal where I live and a startling number of bats get into homes and eventually get to kitties.
bats are not agressive animals. Why would they go after kittens? ??
If your going to subject a cat to rabies shots make sure its done with a vet jet type of instrument to administer the shot.

Once a kittens has been given the initial rounds of vaccinations they should be fine without anymore vaccination. Their immune system should handle it.

I think the bad outweighs the good by continuing to vaccinate yearly. Do a blood test to verify they are safe without them each year or so.

I have fosters coming thru my home. My own adult cat and adult foster have healthy immune systems and I see no need to contine vaccinating just because Im fostering rescue cats and kittens.

Ive watched the negative results of vaccinations~ cancer, tumors, passing out when given a shot, hiding and not moving for two days after a vaccination.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My vet is fairly vaccine conservative, so I just go by her recommendations. We do rabies as I believe it's required by law (although they don't need another for 3 years) and did the first set of a few others, but beyond that I think we may just keep up with the rabies and nothing else.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
last month we did the bat thing, no bats are not agressive, but they are about the same size as some cat toys!!! doesn't matter if it bites or it gets bitten. third bat we have delt with in about 15 years (lots of bats around here in the summer)rabies vacs yes, other vacs discussed with our cat only vet,, smokey the kennel cat get the full range..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Never meant to imply bats were aggressive - I believe in their protection and think they are great animals (anything that eats insects is pretty great in my book). The statement 'doesn't matter if it bites or gets bitten' sums it up well. My point was just that there is good reason to continue to vaccinate against rabies.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts