Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm planning to bring my cats for walk starting this spring. My biggest concerns are 1) if they will catch fleas, ticks, or even worse, heartworms from outside, and 2) if they will "go wild" and always wanting to sneak out. I don't want to risk getting them lost. So I haven't decided if I will actually take them for a walk:(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Kazuki acts like he's dying if you put a collar on him. He spends all his time backing up and falling over until he gets it off so a harness would probably not go over well. Squeaky hates traffic so that would last 30seconds and then she'd be throwing fits on the end of the leash to find somewhere to hide or get back inside.

Until this past year when we moved in to the condo we always had indoor/outdoor cats cause most were ferals we found and partially tamed. Cats don't get heartworm and a monthly dose of flea preventative will prevent that just like with dogs.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yes, cats do get heartworm, though not as common as in dogs, and it can cause sudden death. There are meds to prevent heartworm & fleas together (for cats), but I really don't like the idea of giving my cats meds every month...

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm planning to bring my cats for walk starting this spring. My biggest concerns are 1) if they will catch fleas, ticks, or even worse, heartworms from outside, and 2) if they will "go wild" and always wanting to sneak out. I don't want to risk getting them lost. So I haven't decided if I will actually take them for a walk:(
If you stay on the sidewalk, no fleas ticks or worms. - don't let them play with bird poo or anything.

I'm a bug-a-phob, so I don't let Toby on lawns, as the thought of little crawlies on him gives me the heebie-jeebies

·
Registered
611 Posts
Kazuki acts like he's dying if you put a collar on him. He spends all his time backing up and falling over
Yeah, this act is so weird to see on most cats reactions. They plop on their back like they're paralized.

Squeaky hates traffic so that would last 30seconds and then she'd be throwing fits on the end of the leash to find somewhere to hide or get back inside.
Yup. As good a you see Toby in the video, he freaks out if someone donw the street steps out of their house or if he sees some kid down the block riding his bike.

Fortunately Toby doesn't cry to go out, but his door darting (attempts) has got worse.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Sherbert loved the leash. when he was young and I lived in the country supervised outing were a daily event sans leash. But once I knew I moving in town I started leash training him at the age of 3. before the leash every time I went to the door he would start demanding out.. yep it was a word he could say. plain as day.. "out, out..out!!" after the leash he would wait until I picked it up and would start meowing and following me around til I put it on him. But actually walking him?? HA!!! mainly I held the end and followed him around.

I would recommend the "Come with Me Kitty" harness and leash. it is specifically made to contour to cats shape and most find it comfortable after the initial adjustment time. BUT huge cats you may need to call for size.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My wife and I really enjoy being outside working in the yard all throughout the spring, summer and fall. We also love to sit out on the back patio during those evenings to relax and enjoy the yard. I would love, love, love having my boys outside with us on a leash and harness during those times. I wouldn't mind if they were to lay around in the grass. I have a large potted catmint plant they love to chew on, they could swat at butterflies, grasshoppers, or what ever within their reach..... over all they would safely enjoy the outdoors that way. Pure bliss for them, and my wife and I.

But..... I know that this would encourage them to begin taking matters into their own hands. The "door darting" wouldn't only increase, we'd have to also keep the windows closed to all but an inch because they would make a run at tearing out the screens. It would cause a heck of a mess. I just know it. I can't have them doing that.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Haha, same here. She's gone on hour long walks with us.

When we're in the city (which is like 99% of the time) she also follows us on walks but only at night. She sticks to the boulevards and darts around yards and runs from the cars. I wouldn't recommend - at all - off leash for most cats though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If I'm really unlucky, get his brother coming along too. Thankfully, there are few roads near us, and the ones there are very quiet. They're still cautious of traffic, but tend to stay on the paths near the trees and fields. They've always been indoor-outdoor cats. They're Forest cats, they LIKE trees :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I walk a few of mine, always with a halter and a leash. One cat only took one session with the leash and she'd lead and walk better than most dogs. One cat hated it and would just take a step or two and lay down.

We live in the country, so all there is to walk them on is grass and dirt. I'll never let them outside without a leash, that almost always ends badly.

Once I began walking them, they'd became mad about wanting to to out. Before I could open the door and they'd look at me like, "**** FOOL, I AIN"T GOING OUT THERE!!!" and they'd walk away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.