Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I was in college I have come to LOVE tv. I love plot lines, I love how the stories go I get invested in characters and I just truly enjoy zoning out.

Every season I have about 20ish shows I watch. Some are new and some have been on for years. This season I didn't find too many shows that I love (I tried The Mindy Project, just wasn't into it.) Here is a list of the shows I watch this season. I would love some input on them, or suggestions for new shows to watch.

I only have Hulu+ and Netflix, no cable, so I am stuck with shows that are only on Hulu+.

(No Particular order)

The Office
Up All Night
Bones
Whitney
30 Rock
New Girl
South Park
Saturday Night Live
The Cleveland Show
American Dad
Community
Once Upon a Time
Family Guy
Don't Trust the B In Apt 23
Ben and Kate
The New Normal
Bob's Burgers
Happy Endings
Grim
Parks and Rec
Psych
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Workaholics

What are your favorite shows? Do you like any of mine? Right now I am watching last weeks episode of Bones. :)

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
A few series I've gone over to a friends to watch the DVD series... the rest I download. We also have whatever it's called (PVR?) that allows you to record TV and pause live TV -- which is handy to pause for ~15 minutes and then fast forward through all commercials -- but anyway I don't watch all that much on TV, nothing with commercials.

Out of your list of TV series I've watched a South Park and Family Guy and I've given Once Upon a Time a whirl, which wasn't bad but I'm still somewhere in the first season. I've wanted to check out It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia but haven't done so yet...

So yeah, TV series I watch(ed) and enjoyed:

The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
The Pillars of the Earth
Breaking Bad
Six Feet Under
Dexter (only first two seasons)
Friends
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel (only the first season)
Lost (saw about 4 seasons of it)
True Blood (haven't seen the most recent season, don't really know how great I consider it, but it's entertainment)
Dead Like Me
The Lost Room
Sherlock
Downton Abbey (only first two seasons, got too soap operaish for me)
Homeland
Prison Break (I lost track of it somewhere around season two)
Northern Exposure
The Killing (only seen the first season but intend to finish it)

... the majority of those are miniseries and/or not standalone episode formats. We probably have a different taste in TV shows. I also used to watch all the Star Treks and some Law and Orders, and other things I can't recall now, but their details are so foggy to me now that I won't list them, they were more often "oh, it's on tv... I'll watch it".

I'd encourage everyone to watch Game of Thrones... even my almost 91 year old grandfather is glued to it! And believe me, he hardly watches anything. I haven't met someone that disliked it; entire family and my friends all like it. Right now I'm putting on the last disc of Game of Thrones for my grandfather to finish watching season two. The new season is starting next month.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We only have Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon On Demand so we have to wait for things to become available so these are my favourites (in no particular order).

Raising Hope (Watching it now).
Archer
New Girl
Once Upon a Time
Community
Bob's Burgers
How I Met Your Mother
Parks and Recreation
American Horror Story
Doctor Who
Mad Men
Game of Thrones
True Blood

Past favourites include (in no particular order): Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Voyager, Battlestar Galactica, Six Feet Under, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and Samurai Champloo.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My favorites are on Netflix:

Vampire Diaries (Damon Salvatore is to DIE for :) )
The Adventures of Merlin (Nerdy but I totally love it)
The Walking Dead
One Tree Hill
Gossip Girl (LOVE Chuck Bass)
Teen Wolf
Army Wives
And my ALL time favorite... Buffy the Vampire Slayer

·
Premium Member
7,853 Posts
My husband loves Walking Dead for some reason. Personally, I have not found any TV shows that interest me in the past 20+ years. I am addicted to documentaries and some of the BBC shows on Netflix. I just finished watching Bleak House (based on a Charles Dickens novel set in late 1700's). Watched it TWICE, I loved it so much!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
We have cable, no netflix or anything

Pretty Little Liars
Vampire Diaries
Doctor Who
Downton Abbey
Once Upon a Time

Those are the only ones that I feel as if I need to watch

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Slight aside - a lot of my friends have been in extras in both Dr. Who and Merlin because they are filmed fairly close to me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slight aside - a lot of my friends have been in extras in both Dr. Who and Merlin because they are filmed fairly close to me.
How neat!

My boyfriend and I were both extras in the Dark Knight Rises.

It was a great experience. I would love to do it again. I live in LA now, so I am sure it would be fairly easy.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love Game of Thrones, Walking Dead and American Horror Story!

Cannot wait for the new season of GoT. I am reading the books right now. :)

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Honestly, of all of the TV shows everyone's named, I've watched: South Park, SNL, Northern Exposure and all versions of Star Trek, including the original.

I'm addicted to forensic-type shows and what I think are called police procedurals. And some comedies. I don't watch TV much anymore because of my hours, but over the past 20 years or so:

NCIS
NYPD Blue
CSI (before everyone left, and only the original)
Burn Notice (very quirky USA network series that's on now)
Twin Peaks
Everybody Loves Raymond
Frasier
Homicide

Frasier and Homicide are to me, hands down, the two most well-written TV shows I've ever watched, because the dialogue sounds so absolutely natural and cliche-free.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
My favorite shows currently...
Archer
Downton Abbey
Big Bang Theory (my mom swears they modeled the Sheldon character after me)
Food Network Chopped

Favorites in the past...
Mash
Wings
Quincy MD
Ally McBeal
Boston Public
The Muppets
X-Files
Waiting for God
LA Law
Taxi
and yes... Buffy

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
The X-Files! Forgot all about that one, I didn't watch it weekly or anything, but it was good. I think I watched all of LA Law as well back in the 90's. Oh! And another one I really enjoyed that I totally forgot about was Xena... I wonder if I tried watching these shows today if I'd find them totally dated...

I kept planning to read the Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire series but I really dislike reading multiple point of view stories. Game of Thrones is about the hugest example of that there is. :lol: Plus, I heard the last two books were garbage that didn't advance the plot. 1,200 pages each that are a waste of time. I really hope the TV series cuts out all the unnecessary stuff; a lot of people are depending on the TV show to save the series with only the relevant parts of the plot involved.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love XFiles and Xena! They are both on Netflix, so I have been watching them.

I also love Seinfeld!

AND The Twilight Zone!

I'm about half way through Game of Thrones.

·
Premium Member
7,853 Posts
I forgot about 24! The earliest shows are probably one of my all time favorite series! We used to really look forward to Jack and his tough talk terrorist killing antics! Never watched the last of the shows because he caved in to the environmentalist movement and became soft.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot about 24! The earliest shows are probably one of my all time favorite series! We used to really look forward to Jack and his tough talk terrorist killing antics! Never watched the last of the shows because he caved in to the environmentalist movement and became soft.
I tried to start watching it probably two years back, but it just didn't captivate me.

I have also started to watch the Following, which I didn't include in my first post. I think it is going to be a great show!

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I considered mentioning 24 but I only saw the first season. I felt it was too much like a man's version of a soap opera. :lol: My dad loved it! If you liked it, checkout Homeland. Actually, check it out even if you didn't like 24... Homeland is very good, won all the awards last year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
One of my favourite TV shows of all time was Damages, but the series is over now.

I currently watch (in no particular order):

Pretty Little Liars
The Vampire Diaries
Survivor
Degrassi
The Office
Mr. D
Sister Wives
The Biggest Loser
My Cat from *You-Know-Where*
Revenge

and, can't forget...

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo! (lol)

That being said, I am certainly not "up-to-date" on all these shows. I'll get bored of them and then go back to them after awhile.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I might also mention two shows I like primarily for their soundtracks...

Cold Case - this show has pretty good writing and acting, but what I really like is how the music from the year of the murder is utilized in the story.

Being Human (US) - I don't know about the British version, but I've downloaded more than 30 songs that I heard on the show - most have an indie feel with a sinister edge.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts