Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do your cats react when you say their names/call them? Do they actually come to you?

Neither of our cats come when called (I wish!), even if we are right next to them and they're looking right at us. They only come when called if they can tell we're calling from the kitchen. :roll: (of course)

Lily used to meow when we would say her name, but I think at some point she realized she was giving us exactly what we wanted (which will NEVER do!), so now she does it sometimes, when she's in the mood, to prove that she is still in control. ;) Usually, when one of us calls her name, she'll twitch her ears towards that direction, and I suppose she expects we should be grateful for that small acknowledgement! ;) Sometimes she even does us the honor of TURNING and LOOKING at us when we call her name, before turning around again and resuming her activity.

Spencer pretty much ignores his own name - he does look at us in response, so I know he KNOWS his name - but he pretty much ignores EVERYTHING unless there is food involved. haha!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Misa...nope. Only by noises or if my older sister calls her.

Francis.. Oh heck yes. He'll listen to my older sister especially.

Vinnie.. Nope. :D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
All my cats come when they are called by name. No matter what room I am in. But then at their ages they know by now it means food, treats, and cuddles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Most of the time he does. I call him and he normally responds by yelling back at me while he saunters over, haha. The only time he doesn't is when he's napping somewhere or playing too hard that he can't be bothered with whatever I want from him.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ginger only comes when he is in the mood for us playing with him. If he's not in the mood, we call and he might glance our way then look away uninterested. He comes running when we call and tap his food bowl on the ground :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Unless she's sulking, in which case I have to go find where she's hiding.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
All 7 of my house cats come when I call them. When the weather is nice they are usually outdoors, so it really helps that they will come running. They know when I call them it's mealtime.

Even my ferals come when I call them, responding from far-flung places. Same deal - they know if they want the good stuff (wet food) they'd better get there fast.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Blacky and Blaze both come when called. :) Sometimes with Blacky it'll take a few minutes since she's sunning outside and lazy, but she loves following me around outside so it pretty much never fails. If it's dark out I walk to the edge of the property and call her, for some reason she loves running up to me when she sees me at the end of the driveway... I don't know why, maybe she thinks we're going for a walk, haha. It's the easiest way to get her inside at night.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My 3 cats come when they are called. Then again, most of the time when I call them it's to feed them so they are conditioned to expect good things.

·
Registered
164 Posts
All my cats come when I call them -- except when it is time to go in the car. Then Sammy and Coco do a disappearing act! But I usually can track them down.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Maggie is the brilliant one....she comes only when her name is called and she comes every time.

Kobi comes all the time, no matter what name is called, in hopes of food.

Holly rarely ever shows up and when she does it's usually at least 5-10 minutes later. You can tell that even though she's late, that she's answering the call because she has this look on her face that says "this had better be good because I was busy"

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
They come most of the time when I call. There are exceptions: when I am obviously calling them for something unpleasant like nail clipping, when I call Pumpkin from outside she doesn't bother listening (Simone is only allowed on a leash otherwise I think he would be the same), if they are in the middle of an intense wrestling match, or if they are hunting a bug. Lately Simone seems to be jealous whenever I call Pumpkin though because he usually "murrs" and tries to race her to me.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Being only 3 months old, I don't think Rulos knows his name yet. I say his name, but I also call him with a sound we make in Spanish, that I have no idea how to translate/explain. It is something like a "gshht gshht gshht" sound they are very used to. We call it "cuchito" sound...I call all my kitties with that sound. And everybody in my country (and other countries) knows it and relates it with cats.

Chikis ALWAYS comes when I call him. I just say "Chikiiiiis" and he comes running. Such a lovely boy.

Gatito, king of the house, calls me and I go. He can't say my name tho. A "mrrrr" is enough.

:)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts