Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mother and son who just tolerate each other. The male always chases the female. So she isn't thrilled with him. She hisses at him. I see that he wants to take her spot and when he isn't around, she takes his spot. It doesn't escolate but I do stop it if there is hissing. I just hope they are happy. If she goes outside and he is around he chases her and she usually runs into the house. Yet he will let her eat his food. So basically is the rule if they don't fight all is ok? I just think it is too bad they can't enjoy themselves with each other. She may be older than estimated, 3-5 years. He is 2 years.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
At times mine tolerate each other. My boy Zuba does most of the chasing and when he's feeling bullish and trying to be pushy Alkee usually hisses at him. But then the roles are occasionally reversed where she is being the chaser. The majority of the time they seem to genuinely like each other with mutual grooming, or even just one grooming the other, and most of the time they prefer to cuddle in a ball together rather than separately. But Devons are heat seekers and most of it might be due to the enjoyment of the warmth they create together. Alkee is 6 mos older than Zuba and they are half-brother, half-sister to each other. She used to be the bosscat and dominate Zuba until he was about a year old, and then he started being more dominant and he was bigger and heavier by about a pound. They've never had a serious fight, little tiffs with hissing (always Alkee doing the hissing), so most of the time I just ignore the little arguments.

The behavior of your mother cat and her son sounds normal to me. By the time he is an older teen or adult it's just another male cat to her and I can't say for sure she's forgotten the connection but it is mostly diminshed by then.....were they in a feral colony she may very well drive a son out. It may be an inborn thing to keep a breeding from being too closely related. Tho a lot of females in heat will accept a closely-related male if that's what's available at the time.

·
Registered
836 Posts
In the same way that you or I have people that we get along great with and those that just rub us the wrong way, so too do cats.

All of my cats tolerate each other, and generally they get along. I've never had to deal with a serious fight between my own cats. That said, with 6 cats in the house, I do have to deal with my share of cat politics.

I've had a foster named Choco-cat living with me since August who is looking more and more like a foster failure. She's absolutely wonderful with other cats: no hissing, no growling, no confrontational body language, or skittishness--it doesn't stop Autumn from going after her. Autumn is, admittedly, my demanding, tough, little, tortie rescue, and, as such, can be a bit scrappy at times--she doesn't really fight with the other cats, but she definitely throws her weight around (all 6 lbs of it) and she purposely uses intimidation to bully Choco-cat and Cosette. Cosy used to be Autumn's prime target, but she's moved on to Choco-cat now that she's got free run of the house. With the exception of her daughter, Ramona, Autumn just seems to be bossy and dominant when it comes to other female cats.

Cosette, on the other hand, isn't particularly interested in spending time with other cats at all. She doesn't avoid them, but she doesn't really chose to interact with them much either. Cosy seems largely indifferent to her feline housemates most of the time, and the only person she's especially affectionate with is me--she bonded with me as a kitten. Cosette is also my drama queen, and she gets obviously jealous anytime I seem to be paying Autumn or Ramona a lot of attention, but she doesn't mind when I spend time with Choco-cat. Moreover, Cosette and Choco-cat are actually friends. They often touch noses in greeting and sit together in the family room. Choco-cat also gives Cosy affectionate headbutts when she passes by sometimes. I guess there's just something about their personalities that 'click'.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
For the longest time (due my stupidity and not doing a proper introduction) MowMow BARELY tolerated Book... now for the MOST part my boys get along great .... they do still have their moments.

For instance when I'm preparing their meals and Book decides to run up to MowMOw and punch him in the face for no apparent reason.

Or when with no provocation (that I've been able to decipher) MowMOw decides he wants to 'play' and that means chasing Book around the apartment and beating him until he screams like a 10 year old girl.

A few minutes after such things they are grooming (and by grooming I mean MowMow allows Shepherd Book to clean him but does NOT return the favor) or sharing a blanket near the heating unit.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
they are fine. I've lived with cats for decades and for me there were only a couple that actually liked each other. As long as they are getting love from mom or dad, they are fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Back when I had 5 cats, including my current cat Beefy, they all seemed to get along great as they all grew up as kittens together. My parent's two cats on the other hand would get fussy sometimes but no fights or anything like that, just minor hissing from the one because the male would pick at her sometimes.

I actually believe in a certain harmony or balance for cats to live in peace together. Placing adult cats with each other usually is asking for trouble especially if they both aren't accustomed to other cats being around in the first place. Like for example, if you have one adult cat that's had run of the house on his own for years and think to yourself that a new buddy would be good for him/her and then they start fighting each other and the new cat feels unwelcomed. I don't know why but it's best if the cats grew up from the beginning with each other or are fine with other cats before you think of adding another cat.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Mine all get along very well.
I think, in large part, due to slow introductions to each other and staying very calm.
The other thing I've always made a point of, is to lavish extra attention on the cats already there...
I know for a lot of people it is so hard to resist the new kitten or cat!
Which imho, is what people need to do!
Don't ignore it by any means, just make sure you're paying a lot of attention to whoever was there first!

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Blacky will be in the same room as Jasper and Zoey (my aunt's cat)... that's as good as it gets. For a long long time Blacky would not come upstairs at all, nor stay in a room if another cat entered it. For a long time she didn't even want to come inside. She would hiss all the time and swat at them. She still does sometimes... but not as often. She has got a lot better, but I am never going to expect best friend stats between her and the other cats. She gets along great with the dogs though, she even snuggles beside them and gives them lots of headbutts.

I remember one time Blacky was walking down the hallway, Jasper was just calmly standing there and she turned her head towards him as she passed him, touching nose to nose when she did so, and hissed in his face. Then just just kept walking. :|

Both Jasper and Zoey get along slightly better; my aunt's cat hates other cats, and isn't much of a dog fan either... or even a person fan (she is a very antisocial cat), but in her own way she sometimes tries to play. She does a lot of "Halloween cat" (arched back, curled fluffed tail, hopping sideways) and plays a little chase and hide and seek with him, and she'll sometimes be sitting or be rolling around just feet or less away from him.

Jasper loves everyone. He's the kind of cat that needs no intro to other cats, he's just so laid back. Coco is his favourite, they play like crazy. I'm sure he'd play will all the other animals too if they'd let him.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It is a mistake to try to figure out cat behavior in human terms and understandings. Or as this fellow once remarked:

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
Robert A. Heinlein

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a mother and son who just tolerate each other. The male always chases the female. So she isn't thrilled with him.
I think what you're describing is a fairly normal dynamic - your situation is very close to mine: I also have a mother and son pair, but I think my two get along a little bit more than yours, based on what you're describing. Yes, mine do tussle at times, due to Newton being a bit of a bully, but more often than not, they can share the same space, and lounge/nap together. And Newton's aggression never gets to the point of being malicious.

I can't read their minds, but I would go as far as saying I think they enjoy each others company (for the most part). This is especially evident during their play sessions, when they take turns chasing each other. To put it another way, I think they're better off together, than if they were only cats.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a good laugh on this:
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
Funny thing for me today. I double cover my sofas. One to keep the fur off and the top cover so the cats can go under it and hide. My male likes to sleep there so you really don't know he is there unless you feel for him. Well my female is laying on top of the blanket and he is right next to her under the blanket. He must feel her but I am not sure she knows he is there as he was under there first. That is probably the second time I have seen them this close.

·
Registered
779 Posts
That's really cute- they are snuggling together, but not, at the same time :) I'm sure she can smell him and knows he's there. My boy cat loves sleeping under blankets, too.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Robert A. Heinlein[/URL]

ooh. i LIKE that. ha ha!

as for the topic of cats getting along - sounds like a pretty common thing what you're experiencing. we had 3 up until the 1st of the year (when our oldest unexpectedly passed :-(). all 3 were completely different, so i don't think any reasonable person would even expect they'd get along - and what d'ya know? they did NOT. but they did tolerate each other OK. our biggest "problem" was just keeping the young tabby boy from trying to play with the 16 year old arthritic girl. both of these avoided our 3rd like the plague, though. she is a total princess and they knew from the start to stay away from her. she would regularly hiss and spit and both of them.

ironically, after we lost our 16 yr old girl, the other 2 seem to be getting along a little better. it's weird, but i'm very grateful for it. little miracles do still happen apparently. they've been together for a little over a year now, btw.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Cabbit gets along with everybody, Nyska barely tolerates Winston (he likes to chase and play, she does not).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts