Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering who here has cats that purr!

My male cat rarely purrs. I can scratch under his chin, pet him, love on him, nothing. He only purrs when he voluntarily jumps on your shoulders or when he voluntarily goes on your lap (which is rare).

My female cat purrs all the time. It's so low that you can't hear it, but I always feel it when I'm petting her under her chin. She also "air kneads". My male cat doesn't knead at all.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Book purrs only when touched or when we're in bed at night and he's close to me (if he's on the other side of the bed, he doesn't purr. He has to be touching me to purr).

MowMow's purr is a meter for me. It's always the first indicator he doesn't feel well. He only purrs in certain situations like when he kneads on soft. If I let him nurse on my ear it's an instant on switch for his purr. If I provide either soft or an ear and he doesn't purr I know he's not feeling right.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Both of mine purr. Gizmo is a purring machine, I just have to look at her and say something and she starts :). Marshall purrs a lot too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mac's a big sweetie, so he's always up in my face wanting love and purring, loudly. He actually woke up me up at 3 this morning for that reason haha :) I've only had him for a week and I've never had such an openly affectionate cat so it's taking some getting used to, in a good way. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine almost never purrs, but every once in a while when I give some particularly great chin scratches he'll make a tiny little purring noise. I feel vibrations more than anything, mostly.

I heard at one point that cats separated from their moms very early don't learn to purr and I know my little guy was a rescue, though I don't his history with his mama or litter. And I have no idea how true that "rumor" is about purring so don't quote me!

I also feel like mine shows contentedness and happiness in other ways, like by wanting to be close all the time and constantly head butting me.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Pazu also rarely purrs and when he duos you don't hear it, you feel it through his chest wall.
He is a rescue kitty, taken off the streets by the shelter - he was so tiny he could fit into a teacup! Sickly kept in the sick bay for most of his kitten hood and definitely lacks socialization and nonverbal cat language skills...
CatMOmNY- I wonder if it is because he was separated early...?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Our cow cat Patches has a loud purr. He'll purr whenever he jumps up on me and wants to be held and petted. Sometimes when I'm sitting in the bathroom in the middle of the night he'll come to me. I can hear him purring even before he comes into the bathroom. Our black cat Inky has more of a medium purr. He purrs a lot. Like almost anytime I pick him up. He also purrs when he walks up on my chest in the middle of the night and wants to be petted. If I'm in the bathroom Inky usually wanders in and he'll purr if he gets close enough for me to pet him.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
ET chooses where he wants to purr, ONLY BACK IN HIS ROOM and its mildly audible purr. He never purrs when I gave chin rub anywhere else outside his room. Back in his room, I don't need to do anything, I just need to sit there and let him rub all over me and there he goes, purring.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I can look at Monkey and he starts purring. Scout starts purring if he's next to me or when I pet him. He is a very LOUD purrer!

·
Registered
184 Posts
All three of ours purr. Athena purrs so loudly you can hear it across the room. I have had a few cats in the past, however, that never purred.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Both of mine purr, but one in way more typical situations than the other. Rosie purrs if I pick her up, or if she's sitting on my chest. Also if I bend down to hug her or lay my head on her side. Pretty much any time I touch her she starts purring.

Jack on the other hand purrs at extremely weird times. He purrs VERY loudly while he's eating and also when he's playing. Especially if he's hiding while playing. It is the strangest thing. He also often purrs late at night or in the morning if I'm in bed and he knows I'm awake. His purr is much louder than Rosie's.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
All my girls purr generously.
B.B. is the loudest, a nice low, loud rumble that I can hear across the room.
Sadie will purr as soon as I talk to her, feed her, or touch her. Her's is a higher sounding loud purr that is very comforting.
Belle has the quietest purr, but it is mixed with tweets, squeaks and whistles. Most times it's whne she's curled up by my side, at night, just before we all fall asleep.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Both of mine purr quite often. If they aren't already purring on their own, all it takes is a few strokes of their fur, and they'll be purring away. As Newton gets older, his purr sounds more and more like his mom's. He used to sound more like an idling car badly in need of a tune-up, now, it's a lot more pleasant :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mystery purrs pretty much any time im around him. He follows me around purring, sits on the bed and purrs if i happen to be sitting there. Its always louder when im petting him or talking to him, it changes pitch. And if he sitting on my lap or some part of me then he purrs like crazy
Shadow only purrs when petted
Ashes purrs when he is headbutting you for attention or happens to be laying on u and u pet him.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ruby purrs a lot and she has a lot of different purrs. She does a really high pitched purr when I rub under her chin and different lower ones when she sees me again after not seeing me for a few hours, or when I feed her or pet her. She also always purrs when she goes to bed at night and when she tries to wake me up in the morning.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hachi purrs the second I look at him or touch him. Really the only time he isn't purring is when he falls asleep.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Ellie is a super loud purr-er! Especially at night time and when she's cuddling me all morning. Nonstop purrs on my pillow (she usually sleeps above my head, leaving me no pillow room and a cramped neck...) which is super relaxing and helps me fall asleep! I just love it.

She's just a loud cat in general, she is always making these little noises and "mews" and when we say her name she goes "brrr" like a little noise lol, it's hard to explain. And if she knows she's doing something bad she mews extra loud and rolls on her back when we say her name, trying her best to look cute and innocent. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of my cats, Sam, purrs all the time. You can look at him and he'll start purring, and sometimes he just walks around doing it. Basically whenever he's not sleeping, he purrs. It's also a very loud.

Carlton only purrs in the morning and at night, which are his "lovey" times. He only wants to be pet when I first wake up and when I go to bed. He also has a very loud purr, louder than my other 2 cats. During the day he's hyper and never purrs.

My 3rd cat, Kitty, rarely purrs. It's very low pitched and you can barely hear it, and he just seems to do it when he's content.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts