Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Peaches's appetitie seems to have decreased over the past one month. She has been eating about 60% her normal diet. Can this be due to the fact that summer has arrived early and hotter for Seattle.
Otherwise she is still active and loves to play forever :)

Please let me know if any of you have observed this.
Thanks,
Usha

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi, I don't know why Peaches's appetite seems to have decreased over the past one month. My cat doesn't do that during the summer, and I can't seem to think of why your cat wouldn't eat as much. You should ask your vet if this is normal. I don't think it is, but you should still double check with your vet.
My cat isn't always active, but he sometimes is, and he loves to play at sometimes. Sometimes he gets in the play mood at night and runs around the whole house! LOL :lol:

Thanks,
Katrina

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Could depend on the weather a bit, I noticed that our cats doesn't scream for food as much when it's muggy weather. They just want to sleep and sleep and hope the weather goes away. As soon as the sky clears up they get more than enough energy and plays like crazy for hours (and of course eats much to keep the energy level high).

So unless there's some extreme changes in weather that would make you suspect your cat is affected by it, then you might have your vet check on her.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I believe that just like we eat less when it is super hot out, cats eat less too. Both my cats are in LOVE with their wet food at night, but if it is really hot in the house (we have no air conditioning!) they will maybe only eat half of it, and sometimes Magic doesn't eat his at all. So I can see it being from the warm weather, but a 60% loss of appetite is a lot, so it might not ALL be because of the weather.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Before I had my AC I noticed decreased appetites in my cats and dogs during the really hot weather. Some days my dogs would even skip an entire meal.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Is your kitty showing other signs of illness? Lethargy, change in litterbox use, drinking habits? That much of a reduction in food intake is worrisome to me. Is she also losing weight?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts