Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stepmom had a cat before my dad met her, and the cat was only used to my stepmom. When my dad and her and I moved in together, her cat was sooo mean to me! I couldn't even pet her or she would bite me and claw me.
Thank god my parents got her declawed, so now all she could do was bite me, and believe me this cat could draw blood when she wanted to!!
I am just wondering if anyone knows of a cat like this, or has a cat like this? If this was my cat, and she wouldn't even let anyone pet her, I would get rid of her. I have a kitty now and he is soo friendly and cuddly and just the love of my life :lol:

www.geocities.com/snuggle_chick69/gill.html

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
A lot of people would say we have a mean cat. Velvet is two-person cat, very sweet to my husband and I, but she wouldn't have anything to do with anyone else. As long as other people leave her alone, she is ok. But she does not like to be approached or petted by anyone other then "her people".
I guess to me that is just the way she is, we explain it to anyone visiting us. People know that she is our baby and accept her as she is.
:D

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I met a cat that actually frightened me. He smelled my cats, I guess. He was a huge young tom, who actually bit his owner's butt when she was sleeping. He came at me, growling, showing his teeth, and hissing, and wouldn't let me touch my own things! His name was Rover, I believe. I suggested she have him neutered. She said it helped. He's the only mean cat I've ever met, as far as I can remember...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So much of it depends on the cat itself and how it grew to know humans. A friend of mine (actually his fiance') has a cat that burned its paws on a popcorn popper at a young age and is afraid/hostile to strangers. She will only accept her owner - nobody else. I tried to pet her once and she hissed and swiped at me.

My cat has had no traumatic experiences but still will not let a stranger touch him until he "smells" them first. If a stranger enters the house and is noisy or walks heavy, he will run and hide.

So many factors come into play in such a situation. That's probably why so many people feel that dogs are much better than cats. Dogs, in general, will trust and accept any stranger that pays them attention. So sad that many cats that trust strangers end up being victims of cruel abusers. :cry: :x

Cats are much more particular and complex. Do I have a problem with that? Not at all. Cats rule, dogs drool. :lol:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Minnies mom was hit by a car when she was a couple weeks old. The people who owned her then just let the kittens fend for themselves. A couple of the kittens died. Minnie and Jerry came to live with me at three weeks.
I dont really know if that is why Minnie acts the way she does, Jerry is very loving and sweet. Minnie is very mean to people. She hisses at anyone who comes near her that she doesnt know. She looks like a snake when she hisses. Once a girl tried to pick her up and minnie scratched her and left her claw in the girls ear lobe. Another time she bite one of my moms freinds who tried to move her over in order to sit down, and scratched her arm pretty bad. If any one she doesnt know comes near her she makes this terrible sound and hisses.
She is never mean to us, however if we try to pick her up she tenses up and meows funny the entire time. If we try to pet her she flinches!

P.S. she is an all black cat to, so people are really afraid of her sometimes, I think its funny!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if this is a known fact, but in my experience, female cats are kind of weird. They are usually not friendly, and they either act mean, or just run away and are skittish.
Any male cats I have known, are friendly and sweet and just generally nice cats.
Nothing ever happened to my stepmom's cat...she just chose to be a mean cat to everyone but my stepmom. Although when my step mom and my dad had my brother, her cat LOVED him. It's like the cat "knew" he was part of my stepmom.
BUT, the funny thing was, that when the cat would go into "heat" she couldn't get enough of me! She would let me pet her, hold her, and she would come to me when I called. It was weird. Probably because no one else wanted anything to do with her when she was humping everything in site LOL :lol:

·
Registered
917 Posts
i've never met a truely mean kitty, but one time when i was a little girl i was petting my neighbors cat when for no reason, he grabbed my head in his paws, with claws very much extended. ow. then he ran away. i never petted him too much after that. it hurt my feelings more than anything, i mean, i was like 11.

on the other hand, my kitty cujo is very friendly and likes to say hi to everyone who comes in. maybe i named him the wrong thing? :lol:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I haven't met a mean kitty yet ...I met "mean" dogs though being around them all through my childhood. I have been chased by a pack of dogs - this among other exploits of mine 8) . But I certainly do not attribute that "meanness" to the dogs but to their owners or the circomstances they lived in. I agree with Richo's point of view 100%
Regardless of how they act I am still extremely fond of animals ::))

·
Registered
917 Posts
i got chased by a crazy squirrell once. chased me right into my house. we trapped it in an old gerbil cage, and it's front leg was all twisted and scarred. it kept hissing and jumping at the cage walls. we took it to the country and let it go. we probably should have taken it to the vet to be tested for rabis, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts