Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 day old kitten who will most likely have his back legs amputated.. If he survives the surgery and all goes well, I am thinking about getting him a kitty wheelchair. If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, can you please post the process and costs of doing this?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The carts are meant more for playtime and to get some exercise (of their front parts). They should not be left on all day, as they'll get pressure sores from the straps.
The kitty will learn to scoot around when the cart isn't on, so he won't NEED it, it'll just make things easier for playtime and going for walks (if he gets leash trained), and romping with other kitties for a few hours.

Here's a Google search for cat wheelchairs with videos and articles of how to make one. DIY cart

You can buy ones from companies that have made them professionally, but they're over a couple hundred dollars.

Or get prosthesis, like Oscar the bionic cat! ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's what I meant to say as obviously the cat won't be able to lay down comfortably while attached to it. Him being a kitten though, I'm sure he'll be dying to run around and play and this will just make it easier for him, assuming he survives to play :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have never had any experience with a cat wheelchair but I have with a dog. My parents dachshund was paralyzed temporarily so we had tried the wheelchair method. I think it is a good idea if your cat gets used to it. I know some animals don't take to things like that but I would definatley give it a try. If you are handy, I would try to make one. This way if you know your cat likes it you can invest in a really nice one.

Otherwise your cat may just adapt to living without its back two legs. You could also invest in a cat stroller, this way you could take them outside and stuff.

I saw what Vivid Dawn posted about the prosthetics.... that looks like the best idea!

I think there is a lot of great options.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't have cat wheelchair experience however my boxer had DM and we had an Eddys wheels cart for him. I think they make cat chairs and they also sell second hand ones. They are a great company and very easy to deal with.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I would totally do that for Paizly, if I could afford it.
A friend suggested that I tape Sporks to her stubs... jokingly, of course (or at least I hope so! LOL)

That's so AWESOME that Oscar's owner got him prosthetics. A lot of people cannot and would not even consider forking up the cash to make that happen. His owner is my hero for the day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts