Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting an IBO under my sister and just noticed that they sell pet products--including a line of canned food that looks pretty good. Has anyone tried it? It's by-product free and the only grain I can find is rolled oats (not high on the list)--it's also really inexpensive, 25 bucks for 24 cans (5.5 oz) and they have a few flavors.

Just wondered if anyone else has had experience feeding it or heard anything about it, it would be a great addition/alternative to the stuff we're feeding now, which is grain free but almost 3 dollars a can....

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
The Chicken and Lamb has very little chicken and no lamb, as far as I could see. Lots of fish, though..

Ocean Fish, Fish broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Tuna, Rolled Oats, Carrots, Peas, Potatoes, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Egg Product, Cranberry Powder, Flaxseed, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Carrageenan, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm not so fussed about the flavors so much as the overall content :D But that is weird that it doesn't actually have lamb listed as an ingredient, I wonder if they posted the wrong product description?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it out: the snippet you took was from the ocean fish flavor. The chicken & lamb is

INGREDIENTS: CHICKEN, CHICKEN BROTH, CHICKEN LIVER,
LAMB, ROLLED OATS, EGG PRODUCT, CARROTS, PEAS,
POTATOES, GUAR GUM, BREWERS DRIED YEAST,
CRANBERRY POWDER, FLAXSEED, DRIED KELP, CHOLINE
CHLORIDE VITAMINS (VITAMIN E, A, D3, B12 SUPPLEMENTS,
THIAMINE MONONITRATE, NIACIN, d-CALCIUM
PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE,
RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN), MINERALS
(FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER PROTEINATE,
MANGANOUS SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, SODIUM
SELENITE), POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARRAGEENAN,
TAURINE, SALT, YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
peas, carrots, kelp, cranberry .... um, we're feeding cats, not rabbits, right?
I never understood why this junk is in food for obligate carnivores. Almost as bad as corn!

...just my blatant opinion ^_^

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fair enough--although my Nature's Instinct grain free wet food has carrots and peas and all kinds of stuff in it too! :D I wish they would list percentages but I take some comfort from the fact that the top four ingredients (I'm guessing ?80 to 90%?) are animal products that are not meals or by-products.....I was hoping it would be a bit better of an alternative to mix in than using Friskies or something similar as there's no way we can keep feeding our cats $6/day or more :(

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yikes, $6 a day?! What are you feeding them??

Personally, I've never really been too bothered by the vegetables and fruits, even though I know they're probably just a gimmick - they're in Wellness, Merrick, Orijen, Weruva, and every premium brand of food I've ever purchased or looked at on the shelves. Frankly, unless you feed a raw diet, the food you feed your cats is going to have fruits and vegetables in it, because that just seems to be what the pet food companies do. I don't understand why it's in there, either (again, probably a gimmick - makes it sound super healthy to those who don't know any better, I guess), but I really don't think it's as bad as a lot of the grains that you find in sub-standard foods.

Actually, the thing that stuck out to me from that ingredients list is Brewer's yeast....I'm no expert, but I think I remember reading some things that mentioned that being unhealthy for cats...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd just heard that some cats are allergic (Google says that!) but I will keep my eye on it if I do end up getting it.

@yellowdaisies: The Nature's Instinct canned food is 2.79 a can here, plus tax. We have a 14 lb cat and a 5 month old kitten, so between the two of them they go through a can a day each.....5.5 oz cans. And Wicket (our big cat) is actually losing weight on that amt, which is fine because he was really gigantic to begin with! Yeah. Getting expensive!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry it's Nature's Variety--the Instinct brand is grain free. Yeah, it's stupid expensive....but everything comparable is the same price here. It's based out of Nebraska so I think you can get it in the US too, I wonder if it's worth it to order straight from them?

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
peas, carrots, kelp, cranberry .... um, we're feeding cats, not rabbits, right?
I never understood why this junk is in food for obligate carnivores. Almost as bad as corn!

...just my blatant opinion ^_^

Fruits and vegetables are natural sources of vitamins and minerals rather than using synthetic ones. I'll take some kelp over menadione any day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts