·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Because they're there.

Maybe they look like mouse tails?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would love to know what they are thinking about too! Salem has given my cell phone charger a few good kitty teeth holes lol!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good question! I wondered about this for years, too. Then it dawned on me earlier this year, when I first saw a cat give birth and chew the umbilical cord. I think they're instinctively trying to cut the cord.

Timely question for me, too. A cat chomped my mouse cord in two yesterday morning, so I bought a new wireless mouse (which goes in a drawer when I'm not using it, so it doesn't become a hockey puck).

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Because they can? I've had a number of "wire chewers" over the years. I think it starts out when they're teething as kittens. They find it feels good and then they just keep doing it, and it becomes an obsession. You can buy "wire covers" to protect them, or spray them with vinegar or "Bitter Apple" (available at pet stores). The danger is having them chew off pieces and then swallow them, which may perforate their intestines. My girl doesn't chew wires but her obsession is shoe laces! I had to buy sneakers with velcro tabs or elastic. She's never outgrown her obsession and got locked in hubby's closet by accident the other day, and yep chewed his shoelaces. Now I have to watch for signs of a blockage! (groan!)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Wires. Yes, Miu prefers the thin type of wires and has chewed up a number of them that were attached to various electronic devices that have been rendered useless. Oh well. We love her anyways.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Mow's obsessed with the laptop cord. He's always grabbing at it and biting it. I worry about him electricuting himself though and shoo him away all the time.

I keep picturing the scene from the Chevy Chase movie "Christmas Vacation" where the cat fries itself on the christmas lights cord.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I think they probably start chewing out of curiosity or boredom, and continue because they like the sensation of puncturing the outer part of the wire with their teeth. Think about it, most kitties eat soft food or kibble which gets swallowed without much chewing. They probably enjoy chewing on something with more resistance.

We give Gracie drinking straws to munch on (I checked, they are not made of that nasty plastic with BPA in it), and she will methodically chomp on a straw from one end to the other, making tons of punctures...She seems to get the same pleasure chewing straws as she does chewing on the little bones in the raw quails we give her.

Fran

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
My girls LOVE straws!!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Alice loves straws too! If I accidentally leave an empty glass on the short living room table overnight, and there's a straw in it, I can be sure to find it on the floor the next morning, a little mangled mess, haha. She also loves my hair bands and rubber bands. Wires and anything thin and dangly are there to be swatted at. The good thing is, she only chews on straws...at least that I've found...:?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I think kittens chew on cords and the like because, like babies and toddlers, they tend to explore with their mouths. Further, I agree with Fran...they do so because they're either curious or bored.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I keep picturing the scene from the Chevy Chase movie "Christmas Vacation" where the cat fries itself on the christmas lights cord.
YES! I was watching that over Christmas break, when it got to that part, I told Lexi she better pay close attention because that's happen when you chew on Christmas lights!

Luckily, Lexi hasn't been much of a cord chewer.. the ONLY thing she chews is my headphones! I can't even count the number of headphones she's destroyed!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I wish I knew. My girl loves to chew my headphone and laptop cords. Now I unplug and put everything away when I'm not home. I bought some bitter yuck stuff but haven't tried it yet. Silly kitties!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts