Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a stuffed toy with a supply/tube ofcatnip at Petsmart. The toy has a velcro opening that you put the catnip in. I don't think the whole thing cost $6.00

It has had no effect on Toby. I do know that some cats are nor affected by catnip, but I was wondering if this inexpensive stuff might be old and dried out, and that some premium stiff elsewhere might still work?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. I'm not an expert but it all depends on how good the cat nip is. It depends on quality, freshness, age, the process the cat nip goes thru, additives, preservatives, and the cat. I suppose some cats will be affected by some catnip and not others. I guess it's a guessing game to find the right one.

Kathy

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Yes, catnip quality and freshness does matter. Yeowww! catnip is awesome stuff....get him a banana!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Some brands have additives kitty doesn't need. I try to get mine from farmers markets,home grown is the best. I had a neighbor who grew it in her garden! The fresher the better, and AVOID brands that say something like 'send your cat on a trip to 7th heaven' on the label!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also, I've read that toys, or such that have catnip LEAVES are better than those which may have just stems.

I'd like to start growing my own. :) Do they require a lot of sunlight? I'd like to put mine in my bathroom (where the cats won't have access).

Anybody have experience with growing their own?

·
Registered
714 Posts
watch out for the cheap catnip that comes with toys...I once bought a cardboard scratcher and the catnip that came with it was moldy:???:

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's true that some cats don't react to catnip. Moxie goes crazy for the stuff, but Sassy could care less.

I've tried catnip oil in a spray bottle, and organic dried catnip. The dried actually seemed to work better - Moxie just licked the catnip oil off her toy and didn't seem affected, so I got rid of it. I too would really like to start growing my own fresh catnip :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree that quality is important, and do try to grow your own. Sunny exposure is preferred, but a few hours in the morning (direct sunlight) is sufficient too. Grow in organic, no fertilizer, peat moss/soil--very important according to my niece, the landscape gardener professional and owner of two cats.
Keep in mind that catnip is edible, so that is why organic or home grown is preferred. (I mix a pinch of cat nip in bait when I am TNRing. Helps a lot getting cats into the trap.)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
growing your own catnip is the easiest thing you can possibly do. I have it growing beside my porch, also along 2 sides of my house. I have never had an issue with strays tearing up the patches, unless someone mows it down. (lol) remember in warm areas it is invasive. so grow it in a large pot and clip it before it flowers. I constantly clip off the leaves and dry them keeping the plants bushy and mow it before they seed. The plant will spread through roots also.

you can usually get a small plant at a farmers market , or check both Krogers and Meijer's since both carry fresh potted herbs in their produce periodically. or you can get a pot with some good soil in it. sprinkle a few seeds on it, sprinkle lightly with more soil and keep watered. Keep outdoors in summer if your cats try to eat it.

to dry. clip off the leaves after the dew has dried. layer on a cookie sheet. heat a oven to 200 degrees, when warm turn off oven and pop the cookie sheet in. leave catnip in oven til leaves are "crispy" .. your done. store in a jar out of sunlight.

if your cat has no affect with catnip. you can try the honeysuckle toys they sell. a percentage of cats that do not respond to catnip respond to those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.