Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was a good idea to adopt 2 cats from same home, so they would keep each other company and I love cats.... but here's how it really went.
I adopted 2 siamese cat from the shelter two weeks ago. They had been in the shelter only for 10 days. I was told they were from the same litter and same home & about 2 years old. They sure didn't look like brother. One was bigger and heavier than the other one. I visited them 3 days in a row on my lunch break and they seemed OK bringing them treats and each a little bed to sleep in, so it was have their smell when they got into my home.
I brought them home the same day they got neutered. The first night they slept in the porch each in their own chair. It was heaven! I felt like a happy mom with 2 new pookies.
The next morning the little one came to me and sat on my lap, the next thing I new the bigger one sneeked under the coffee table and scratched the little one on my lap and my hand with it! I was really concerned and went to the shelter. They told me the cats needed to get acclimated & there was always a dominant one.
So went back home & the next thing I know, the bigger one sprayed in every room of the house... it really reeked of ammonia in the whole house! and that same evening I put them back in the porch and observed them. the little one was just roaming around when the bigger one attacked him for no reason. They were on their back legs fight with their front paws and claws, fur was flying; it stopped quite quickly, but that was it for the big one...
After agonizing and feeling guilty, I brought him back to the shelter, I was crying and he was meowing... it was horrible.
I kept the small one that was just fine & bdidn't do anything "wrong"... in the last two weeks, he has opened up and feels comfortable in the home.
BUT, he now follows me every where and is glued to my legs, he attacks my ankles for attention, meows around the house when he doesn't see me and does everything with me.
This is great when I am at home, but I can be gone 10 to 12 hours a day, that's why I wanted 2 cats to keep each other company.
I thinks he is lonely and needs another companion. but what kind of companion, male or female, grown up or a kitten, do they need to be introduced to each other, should I take him in a pet carrier to the shelter and choose a cat there and see how they interact in the same room?

I am almost ready to bring him back to the shelter or place him in a family where people are there all day long, because bringing him back would be heart breaking for him and me.

Any suggestions and advice would be welcome. Thanks,

Isis the Siamese thanks you :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Those 2 guys had a bad introduction. You need to keep them in separate rooms etc initially. There are lots of threads here and experts on how to introduce cats to each other, however.

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
I would try another cat, but a younger, smaller one, maybe 6-8 months old, so they're out of the young "bratty" kitten stage, but small enough to not intimidate the cat you have. I've had to rehome a cat I brought home once and it broke my heart, but she has a wonderful new home and everyone is much happier. :patback

I wouldn't have done a "proper" introduction, either, because you were told they were brothers. But here's some good information for you in case you try again:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I feel so bad for you having to take back the kitty to the shelter. It had to be a horrible heartbreaking experience. I wish you had found us earlier so we could of given you tips to see if you could introduce them to each other and they become friends hopefully but you sound like your new to the world of cats and didnt know how to handle it. But you were trying to do what is best for the cats involved.

Siamese cats are very relational with people esp but love the companionship of other cats too. I think a buddy for your cat would be good esp if your gone long hours.

If a cat goes to a vet they smell different to each other esp if surgical proceedures are done and the smell of the vet office is on them. They dont recognise each other then. Cats are very strong on smell to identify each other. Cats are very territorial and need to acclimate to new surroundings. Finding their comfort level in a new home takes time and they tend to lash out, mark, or hide if they are insecure in a new home.

Using Feliway plug ins and Composure Liquid by Vetri Science given orally really helps along with the way described in the article Marie mentioned. I hope you come back and continue to visit Cat Forum. There is a lot of good information on here and caring members who enjoy cats and love to share about their companion cats.

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
should I take him in a pet carrier to the shelter and choose a cat there and see how they interact in the same room?
No, cats aren't like dogs, they need time to adjust to one another. And hopefully the shelter would advise against it also.

I can tell you're heartbroken. I think single cats are fine, but in your case, I would recommend trying again with a younger, smaller cat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts