Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I just adopted a 6 month old kitten on 2/7/2021. She was spayed on 2/4/2021 but she was not given a cone or anything like that. She has been licking the spay incision which makes me worried. We have been playing with her but we just realized that she really should be less active so as to heal well.

I am worried that the incision may have opened up since you can see something that looks like a hole in the 2nd picture. There was a teeny bit of liquid before but it seems to have gone away. Does this look normal to you all?

I'm a first-time cat owner so I am not sure what is normal :/ She hasn't yet seen the vet since she was adopted but we were planning to make an appointment within the next couple weeks just to get a baseline health checkup. Now I'm not sure whether I should try to get her in sooner. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
If she were my cat, I would take her to a vet sooner.....her licking may have caused some infection, and she will need to have an antibiotic. There's a lot of nasty bacteria in a cat's saliva.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Maybe you could put some Triple Antibiotic Ointment on it, and get her a cat recovery onesie, so she can't lick it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: We took her to the vet who did her spay surgery. They put a couple of staples in her incision, gave her a cone, and prescribed her a course of antibiotics. She's taking it like a trooper, although it's been difficult to syringe feed her the meds!

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Thanks for the update!.....Happy you took her to the vet.....she should heal up well now.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Maybe you could put some Triple Antibiotic Ointment on it, and get her a cat recovery onesie, so she can't lick it.
If you do use triple antibiotic ointment, DO NOT use the kind with pain killer added! TOXIC!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts