Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have taken over my dad's cat 'coz he couldn't take care of her anymore. She's about 9 years old. She's adjusting fine to the house but really wants to go outside.

I have got no problem with letting her go there but am worried that's she won't find her new house back anymore (or will go back to my dad's house) 'coz she doesn't know the neighbourhood at all.

Most people I know say that I should keep her in the house for about 2 weeks and then let her start going out. I want to see her happy and don't know if I can see her looking out of the window for 2 weeks!

Any suggestions or tips?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I wouldn't let her outside again at all, if I were you. All cats look out the window. It's interesting! Or, build a playpen enclosed with wires on all sides, including the top, and connect it to the house with a kitty door. There are too many dangers outside for a cat- other cats, cars, diseases, etc. It doesn't take much to cause an abcess on a cat. And cars rarely obey the speed limit-even in residential neighborhoods. The cat's lifespan is often cut down considerably. My cats have never been out and are playful, loving, and happy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you do choose to let her outside again I would definately wait awhile. We have just moved a grown female to our home from my brothers and faced similiar circumstance. I would keep your little one in until you have a very close bond and she is used to your smells and home. We walked Victoria around the yard on a leash for a couple weeks too, just to get her used to "her" yard. Now she is fine outside, but I am glad that I did not rush it!!! Angela -- enjoy your new kit!!! :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
take their litter with and dump it in your yard somewhere. this is one way for your cat to find its way back. Back in July I adopted an older feline, Max, who got outside last week. I never saw an older cat move so fast with rage while chasing one of my ferals! I was a bit worried about him finding his way back home, but a few minutes later, he was on the front porch. However, I do not recommend letting your cat outside, unless you have a completely caged area for her to run around in. I lost one of my cats a few months ago because I let her outside. She was killed by a visiting dog from across the street. Now that they understand they are not to go outside, they do not attempt to get outside like they used to especially whenever I open the door.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts