Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to hijack the wet food thread. Here are some photos of teh Mow. It was hard to get pictures of him just standing. He's either running (blurry) or laying down.....

The shelter thought that he was 3 years old when I adopted him so he'd be 7(ish) now. On our last vet visit they weighed him @ 13.6 lbs and the vet said that he wasn't fat but not to let him put on much more weight :p

I just uploaded these and more picture on the Meet My Kitty section.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Definitely not fat.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The discussion on the other thread was amounts to feed and the general consensus is that the suggested servings on the can over feeds them.

He gets what is suggested on the can (plus a bit more) and this is how he looks. I'm wondering it could mean there's something wrong with him....

·
Registered
801 Posts
At 7 years old, his system is going to be slowing down from where it was when you adopted him, so I would feed him less than when you got him in order to keep him from gaining any weight in the coming years.

I agree with your vet to not let him put on more weight. I don't think he is fat, maybe just pudgy. :p It's hard to tell from photos if the part where his tummy pokes out is fat or just a doolap. I think maybe his waist could tuck in a bit more. Here are two links, one for a weight chart Evaluating your cat's weight - The Purina Body Condition System and the other to show what a doolap is http://www.catinfo.org/images/Amber's doolap copy.jpg

The discussion on the other thread was amounts to feed and the general consensus is that the suggested servings on the can over feeds them.

He gets what is suggested on the can (plus a bit more) and this is how he looks. I'm wondering it could mean there's something wrong with him....
Is he really active? That would explain why more food wouldn't make him gain. If not, does he seem like he can never get enough food? It is possible he has hypothyroid, but I Highly doubt it, seeing as he's not skinny.

Also, I don't want you to feel like I think you don't know how to take care of your cat or anything, just most people don't realize when their pets are overweight, and so never do anything about it or feel that pudgy is better than skinny. (Which it's not.) So I thought I might as well ask since you said you were feeding so much.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No offense taken, I can never seem to judge his weight. When I look at him I always see a 5 on a heavy day and 4 on a light one. He seems to moderate his own weight by eating more or less and keeping himself between what I think is a 4 and a 5 on that scale you linked.

It's a doolap, it runs the entire length of his underside from chest/ribs to lower belly and just feels like skin. Not fatty.

I don't know that he's super active. We live in a two bedroom apartment and he stays indoors. He's usually sitting in the windows or prowling. We play for one or two hours a day together with Da Bird and a laser light and he plays by himself for at least another hour or two tossing his fuzzy mice in the air and chasing them. He's not piggy with cat food and as I said moderates himself but he IS a junk food junkie for human junk foods.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Here is a comparison to my kitty, Little Pumpkin

Mow Mow

Little Pumpkin

Mow Mow looks longer and thinner so I wouldn't worry whereas Little Pumpkin could lose a pound or two. I have to engage her in more playtime with DaBird and Cat Charmer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What kind of food do you feed him? A grain free high protein food like Blue Wilderness or Wellness Core will keep the weight off and make him feel fuller. So instead of cutting back on his food and making him agitated you can feed him the same amount.

Or you can switch him over to raw (it's hard if he's 7) and he can eat even more.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He was on raw but I had to switch him off for various reasons.

He is on Evo 95% beef and California Naturals Venison. All canned, all the time.

·
Registered
801 Posts
@natalie - That's because they were pics of obese cats, not overweight ones. There are several charts around the internet that you can look at if I didn't already post it earlier.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Evaluating your cat's weight - The Purina Body Condition System
I personally think like the vet said, he's not fat, but he definitely shouldn't gain any weight. I think his waist could tuck in a little nicer though.
It's so hard to find any examples of slim cats, but the one under Living with Cats is a nice example. Very fit and trim looking. At least for me, that's my goal for all my future cats (including grimalkin).

·
Registered
328 Posts
He is such a beautiful cat. :) I saw an orange boy up for adoption at PetSmart yesterday and it KILLED me to have to leave him there. I hope we can get an orange boy sometime in the future...;)

Personally, he doesn't look overweight to me at all...and he is eating good food and getting lots of exercise.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for the encouragement. I'm pretty happy with him exactly as he is. :) Although I *AM* looking forward to him eating less as he gets older :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts