Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question I've been thinking of lately . . . does veterinary medicine make progress like regular medicine does? I've only had a cat since late 2005, so I don't have much perspective on how things might have changed over time. Can we expect that in 10 years, for example, advances will be made in veterinary medicine like treating diabetes without having to give daily shots, etc.? Or are they on the slow track?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I think veterinary medicine makes great strides alongside human medicine, but it is sort of dragged backwards by either reluctant owners and/or owners who cannot afford to do every costly heroic thing for their pet. Shoot, many owners balked at simple blood tests (I was one of them) until I learned exactly HOW those 'simple blood tests' are able to inform the Dr about a patient who cannot communicate. I also think only a small percentage of pet owners bring their animals in for wellness checks, most wait until there is a problem and many wait until it is too late for the vet to do much good for the pet.
Overall, I think the general public IS more aware of their animal care responsibilities, but the majority of pet owners cannot afford to do so much medical care for their pets. I do not think this should deny any person from owning a pet; not being able to afford every thing. I do think every pet owner should provide medical care and/or euthanasia when the animal requires it and not let the animal suffer until it expires on its' own.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Absolutely. Veterinary medicine is gaining ground daily. It seems recently, as in the past 5 to 8 years or so, we've really been fast tracked with new meds and treatment protocols for chronic diseases. Its as if drug companies finally realized there was money to be made in animal medicine.

I am daily amazed at the things we can do for an animal today that was unheard of five years ago.

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
In term of my own vet, yes, but it's amazing how many don't realize the benefits of wet food. It really just floors me. My own vet's office offers acupuncture and holistic approaches to pet care.

What will never cease to amaze me is the knowledge of the people on this Forum. I hate when someone comes on late at night and is panicking and I'm the only one on line. I usually offer some lame support and tell them they'll get some really good advice in a while. And they always do.

·
Registered
460 Posts
As some have said the vet world is making some good progress in terms of medicine and procedures. But they are still slow to figure out how to utilize the best medicine in the whole world, a proper diet. As I and some have said that type of medicine works wonders. Spend a little up front and there is a good chance you will save yourself a ton down the road.

Take care

1 - 7 of 7 Posts