• no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is 1 year old and he comes when he is called. Prior to getting a cat people told us that cats aren't like dogs and don't come when called.

Just curious if this is common or not.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Franny will come flying out of hiding spots if I call her name. It doesn't matter where she is, she always come running. I don't even have to call her by her real name, any of her silly nicknames will do the trick too!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Addison almost always comes when I call him... but only when he's not afraid... if I'm in the living room, I'll call and call and right when I give up, out he comes :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I rarely call my cats because they're always within five to ten feet of me, lol. They usually come when I call, but I occasionally get ignored. :lol:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Baily will always come when called, even if he's eating.

Psycho will just look at me. He will come to me if I wave for him to come here.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Nah, Sam and Suzy have no idea what their names are. They come when you go "puss puss" (which means "kiss kiss" in Swedish, nothing else!) when there's time for food. I'm sure they think we've named them "puss" :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Keeter always comes when called...she's all about the attention!

Spaz is the oddball..I never know if she's going to come or not, but I keep trying and praise her very highly when she does come! If she doesn't come, I just ignore her even if she comes over a few minutes later..then try calling again after she's left. Usually that brings her around, but it's still never consistant!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Sometimes...if she feels like it. She certainly knows her name, but doesn't feel particularly obligated to respond by coming when called :roll:

What she (almost) always responds to is a series of three different whistles, all in a specific tonal progression...and they have to be exact, or she won't come.

She's not spoiled, my husband and I are just very well-trained. :oops:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
kana said:
Prior to getting a cat people told us that cats aren't like dogs and don't come when called.
Exactly what we were told too!! Imagine my surprise after a few days of calling each of them, they would come running, food or not!

Mine all come when called, and they know their own names, AND their nicknames. :D I reinforce it once in a while by specifically calling each of them at odd times, then rewarding with a treat when they come.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Heh, my cats are so independent, it's more like they want to run away when they hear their names. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that all but one were born feral.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes...sorta.

If I use the "kitty" voice (rather high pitched, talking to a baby type of voice) combined with kissy noises and patting my thigh, and say ANYTHING (their names, my name, the name of the state I live in...) they generally come...

If I say, "Here [insert cat's name/nickname]" in a very normal voice, without any patting or kissing, or resorting to sitting on the floor or hiding behind the wall, then no.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Kiera doesn't respond to her name at all. She never really responds to voices. She definitely responds to random noises though! ANd if she hears me go into the bathroom, she's there in a heartbeat!

Maybe I should rename her "toilet".....

...naw... :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
All of our cats have answered to their names. Our Siamese mix Ka'ana though has her own terms but generally comes running. I believe its my voice rather than their names because they only answer to my husband 1/2 the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My cat always comes when called. No matter what she is doing, or where she is, she comes running full speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My cats know their names, and acknowledge I'm calling them....but, they usually snub me, lol. Now, when I make kissy noises, they come running. Or, the sound of food going into their bowl makes them tackle each other trying to get to the bowl, lol. Also, seeing me sit down usually brings a couple of them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have also been told that cats do not respond to their names..

I have done a few tests where i would call my kids names really loud to come eat. Missy never came to the kitchen. As soon as i say "Missy, come and eat! " Guess who comes out of their condo?? :D

When i yell come sleep, she gets on the bed and waits for me.

I tell her give me kisses, she licks my nose.

When i ask her if she wants some lovin' , she pokes my hand with her nose , to massage her ears lol

They are soo funny, cute and SMART :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts