Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lickorish likes to lay with her belly on top of her toys and kicks repeatedly with her back legs. She's gouging into the carpet with her back claws. She's gotten good at using the scratching posts for her front claws and doesn't claw the carpet with them, but how do I stop this behavior? I'm about to ban toys on the carpet!

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Try temporarily banning any toys on the carpet, and play with her with an interactive fishing pole type toy like "Da Bird", and get her some of those plastic spirals, or make some foil/paper balls to bat around. Put out an empty box or paper bag. Mix the toys around. This may break her habit of gouging the carpet with her hind feet. Then you could re-introduce an old toy in a month, and see if she's forgotten about kicking the carpet.

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
Clip her nails and/or use soft paws.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! We do clip all her claws every couple weeks, they grow incredibly long and sharp! If we don't trim them they start getting caught on everything. I've removed the toys from the living room, which is where she usually does this, for now and only use the 'fishing pole' style toys there, for now. If she re-offends, i'll check into the softpaws. They could potentially carry the toys back down to the living room (all the toys started off upstairs in the office or bedrooms but some found their way to the living room), its impossible to close it off from the rest of the house, its all open with no doors, only stairs and bannister railings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.