Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because mine doesn't. He doesn't eat any dry food, though - and the food that I make for him has about 1 oz of water per day of food. Also, he drinks whole milk sometimes, so that's the other source of liquid. But, he hasn't once touched his bowl of water, although it's filtered and changed a few times daily. He pees a few times a day, and I wouldn't say very little, but I was wondering if other cats drink no or very little water on a wet/raw diet?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Cats who only eat wet food rarely drinks water. They get the water they need from their food.

My cats almost never drink any water, but they only eat raw food.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I read that cat owners SHOULD get the water fountain bowl...people claim their cats drink twice as much after they got it, and it stopped them from getting digestive problems related to lack of water.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Raul-7 said:
I read that cat owners SHOULD get the water fountain bowl...people claim their cats drink twice as much after they got it, and it stopped them from getting digestive problems related to lack of water.
Everyone who feed their cats an all dry diet should probably invest in a water fountain since it's basically only dry fed cats who ingest to little water.

I plan on buyting a water fountain anyway, but that's because I really like water fountains. I'm gonna buy a really fancy one, in stone, with plants climbing on it :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
My cats eat wet and dry food, they drink some water, but not a lot. I hope I can get a fountain for them soon. Where is a good one at a good price found?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
RE fancy fountains; if your cats will drink from it, I'd suggest something simpler, since it will need to be dismantled and all parts washed, disinfected, and rinsed thoroughly at least once a week. (This is the Voice of Experience here!) Fountains collect a lot of cat spit and hair! :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
252 Posts
drjean said:
RE fancy fountains; if your cats will drink from it, I'd suggest something simpler, since it will need to be dismantled and all parts washed, disinfected, and rinsed thoroughly at least once a week. (This is the Voice of Experience here!) Fountains collect a lot of cat spit and hair! :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
Thanx Dr. Jean! So do you mean a fountain that's more simple or that maybe a bowl should just be used? In your opinion, which is best? Here's hoping I don't sound too stupid... LoL! Thanx again! :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
My cats did drink quite a bit of water in the summer, and also when they ate mostly dry food. Now that the weather is cooler and they eat mostly wet food, they hardly drink any.

I have a Fresh Flow fountain, and yes, it is annoying to have to take it all apart to clean it once a week! I wish there were an easier way.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I feed dry food and have the catit water dome fountain that my cats love. I actually logged on to find out does anyone have a cat that drinks too much - Boomie has been drinking all day! He has learned how to move the handle to turn on the tap and drinks from it all day!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Boomie is really clever! However, drinking a lot of water is often a sign of a kidney problem, so you might want to ask the vet about it, especially if he is older. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Boomie knows how to turn on and open lots of things - his speciality being climbing in the cupboard, knocking out his favourite treat bag, holding sides with paws while using tooth to slice bag open and eating all the treats. Now mummy has put a lock on the cupboard and the treats in a container just in case!

But back on track we have had him checked, the vet just said he is fine and it is probably because he is quite active for a cat and needs a little more. I also give him some wet food from time to time as a treat like the vet said I should. He just can't seem to resist running water.

If i am in the bathtub he sits on the side and either drinks from the tub or tries to lick me dry. He sleeps in the sink and can turn on those taps (luckily not the bath taps or kitchen ones - thinking of changing the bathroom sink taps to turning ones so he can't grip them!) And the water fountain is a great place to play and drink.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think it's great to have a character, and Boomer is really a character, a smart one. Please leave the bathroom faucets as they are! Life will never be boring with Boomer around! :D

I used to give my cats canned food only as a treat, but having read Dr. Jean's posts, I have switched. She recommends all canned food. I have not cut out all dry food yet, as she recommends--mostly because my own vet (retired now) had told me it would be best to give both. However, I no longer free feed dry food, and the majority of their food is now canned. They get a lot of moisture in canned food, and don't drink as much water, because they are already getting it in their food. Just a bit of information to consider. :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Don't worry about Lawrence as far as this goes -- he does get a lot of water in his food, and if this is the case cats usually don't drink a lot. If you are concerned you could try different types of water in different places -- my cats have tap water upstairs and filtered water downstairs, and rain water out on the porch if there is a shower. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
My cats appear to drink much less water now that the're on an all wet diet ( at least I dont see them drinking as often ) but thier pee clumps in the little box are huge compared to pre-all wet diet..sometimes the clumps are the size of my fist...its amazing lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts