• Only by certain people

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat came from the SPCA about 8 months ago, and while he is very affectionate he is not a lap cat.

I find it very amusuing that he will only let me hold him, on the rare occassion hubby can pick him up for a short time. But when others try to pick him up he hates it.

And when I hold him he ALWAYS puts his arms around my neck like he is hugging me. He has never done that to anyone else :p :oops:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Does you cat like to be held?

I ticked 'sometimes' for Jimmy.
He only likes to be held if he's facing outwards and you walk around with him. He likes to get a different view of the world :D
But he doesn't like to be held for cuddles - he just squirms around and you have to put him down. I think he thinks cuddles are cissy 8)

seashell

·
Registered
917 Posts
sometimes i can hold cujo fir a while, but only while standing. if i sit down he wants away. kat doesn't seem to enjoy being held, although she will sit on my lap while cujo won't.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
The only time Addison doesn't mind too much, is when I pick him up and put him on top of the couch to pet him, or pick him up and put him on my lap while I'm at the computer... all the rest of the time he jumps away from me or cries while I hold him and looks for a way out.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Gaylord LOVES to be picked up and carried around the house....he will go so far as to literally jump into your arms from the bed, couch, etc :D Ashley is the complete opposite. She likes her paws to stay firmly planted on the ground. If she is picked up she gets very frightened and makes the saddest little crying noises and shakes :(

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I voted "yes" but it may not be entirely accurate. When I get home from work Sabby will follow me around until I pick him up. When I do bend over to pick him up, he rolls back on his haunches and puts his front paws in the air like a child so I can hook my thumbs under his arms and hoist him up. I can walk around the apartment for a couple minutes while he licks my ear and nose (I'm allergic to kitty spit so I turn red in those spots for about an hour and a half) then he gets uncomfortable and demands to be put down. Usually when I get settled down for the evening he'll jump on my lap and lay there for 15 minutes to an hour, depending on whether or not the phone rings.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Oreo,Simba,Midnight,Tabitha,and Jake all love to be picked up,but my cat Liza only likes to be picked up by me..she scratches everyone else.I voted yes because most of my other cats like to be picked up besides my main cat.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thinking about my two cats, I think I could have checked every option there! Pfeffa is an absolute lap girl and loves to be cuddled and held - but only by me. I can count on one finger the number of times she's actually sat with Mike. Hobochangba does not like to be held (could be because we used a pick-up-and-hold method to administer his antibiotics when we first brought him home so maybe that'll change).

·
Registered
95 Posts
electra hates to be held but she can be so affectionate too. we're trying to train her to like it so she'll let us hold her for a few seconds and then she'll break out the claws and wiggle like crazy.

antigone doesnt mind being held.. she loves it when she just woke up and she's kinda sleepy still. but when she's wide awake with lotsa energy she'll wiggle her way outta ur arms

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone but me who can hold Jack. I feel like it's because he is getting to be a big boy, and Mama's instincts on how he feels secure are the only ones he trusts. Mia likes me to hold her, and she can tolerate Brandon holding her for a short bit, but GOOD LUCK to anyone else who tries. She's so tiny and smushy that if she wants out, down, and away, nothing will stand in her way. She's her own boss, and only Mama and Daddy have been granted permission to hold her. :) People who have tried have suffered the indignant looks from Mia after she wriggled away, as if she was saying "I did not say you could do that."

Annissa -- that is SO CUTE what Sabby does!! "Mommy pick me up," so cute!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Suzy is a "palm cat", she loves to jump up in my lap and then rest on my open palm. So far she's about 1.8 kilos, but when she grows up she's going to be a handfull in several departments. :D

Sam is less of a lap cat, but we toss both of them around in the air. Mainly so they get used to be handled if we start showing them at exhibitions.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Definitely yes :D Marsh loves when i have him in my arms, but especially if i'm cradling him like a baby, with one hand holding him up upside down and rubbing his belly with the other. I can walk around, sit/stand like that for hours, and he'll still be happy :) Of course, at some point, my hand literally falls off and i have to set him down.. that makes him sad :(

·
Registered
327 Posts
Corey rarely enjoys being picked up...he likes just walkin around by himseld...i still do it though :) he doesnt do anything when i pick him up only if im outside cuz hes so into the trees and birds

·
Registered
53 Posts
when i first took in isabel ( she was abandoned near my apt building) she hated being picked up. she would wiggle around practically scratch her way out of it. but now after ab 2 or 3 weeks she is getting more used to it. it doesnt last very long but she will let me cuddle her up in my arms for a few minutes before she demands to be put back down. lol

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Zoee loves to be held. She wraps her legs around my hips and puts her arms around my shoulder. Like carrying a baby on your hip :lol: Zack lets you carry him, but only enjoys it if he is in a certain mood. Lamar loves for me to hold him, but won't let anyone else carry him at all.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Barnaby used to like to be picked up. He would just stay in my arms and purr, but as he has grown older now he just seems to tolerate it and usually uses my holding him for a better view out the window. After only a minute he will usually bite my arm as to say "put me down". He tolerates being picked up by others but I think he is more scared than anything.

Baxter on the other hand seems to be accepting of any type of human contact from anyone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts