Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monty always snuggles up to me when I'm watching tv in the evenings.

I'll talk to him and can see his ears go back, so know he's listening even though he pretends to be asleep ;)

In the middle of this one sided conversation I will sometimes say: I wonder if Monty would like a treat..he then jumps off the couch, wide awake and runs to the kitchen..it is sooo funny.

Do your cats understand certain words?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Definitely! my cats understand "mousies", "want treats?", "want catnip?", "squirrel", "cat", "dog", "birdies", "bugs", "are you hungry?", "bad" and "good" and "sit". Also husband's and granddaughter's name, and who knows what else...some words have to be spelled out!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Yes. Mow knows some words. Stuff like 'please move', 'rumblies in tumblies', 'Daddy's home!', 'Birds?', 'Commere', and 'come in!' (which means someone is at the door and Mow has to be meercat in the hallway until he's sure it isn't my ex).

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are so clever :) I think they understand a lot more than we know, they just have selective hearing ;)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Muffs understands "treat" and "no".

Abby understands "treat", but is under the misguided impression that "no" means "it's ok to keep doing what I'm doing as long as Mom doesn't get up".

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm sure mine do, but so far the only word they seem to have any interest in reacting to is "food." ;)

They probably do know what "no" means but like to pretend that they don't of course!

·
Registered
226 Posts
nazzy and sephi understand "NO", "FOOD" , "SNACK" " COME HERE" VERY WELL,
when i take them out for walk, when is time to come in i say lets get some snack and they walk to the the door and enter the home!!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Abby understands "treat", but is under the misguided impression that "no" means "it's ok to keep doing what I'm doing as long as Mom doesn't get up".
Haha, Alice has that selective "no" hearing as well. She probably thinks her name is "Alice No" by now, and my getting up is the only way she knows she's done wrong. :p

All of the girls know the word "tasties" (our word for 'treats'), "off" (it just depends if they want to listen or not), "sit", "come", and their names. Both Samantha and Alice know "shake" as well. They understand a variety of other words too, I think...Alice and Samantha especially seem to pick up on words very quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Unfortunately I must report that my cats don't seem to know anything as far as language goes. They aren't really food motivated, and I think that's where a lot of word learning originates from. One of my cats loves to be brushed so when I say "do you want a brushing?" he gets excited, but I pin that down to my voice, not my words.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Yup...treat, wanna eat?, down (off the counter), no, their names and a bunch more.

I read (I think it was in Think Like a Cat) that cats have the ability to comprehend a vocabulary of 20-30 words.

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
Cali understands no. Unfortunately, the human-to-cat translation is That's so cute - please keep doing it until I get up and walk towards you.....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Patch has selective hearing. I'm sure he understands me when I tell him "no", "stop chewing that", "come here"... he just doesn't care. :D

Treize understands his name, he always comes when I say "come here" and he reacts to a few gestures as well. He definitely knows when I'm talking about "chicken"... I need to start spelling that word instead of saying it!

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Some of my fosters were very bright and know word commands. Most of my cats respond to the tone of my voice and they all think Im taking just to them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Smitt will come running when we say, "We've got boogers out here!"
This translates to him that there is something worth taking a look at just outside the window. It could be a leaf, snow, small rodent or his girlfriend, Ms. Bunny.

We can say the word "Feather" or spell it. This translates to Smitt that I will get his feather-on-a-stick out of the drawer and we will play.

If we want to know if he is sleepy, we ask him, "Are you seepers?". He will respond with several sleepy blinks.

The list goes on. He is a smart cat. It's scary.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts