Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LittleWill doesn't like to be picked up or held, but he adores attention and being petted etc. Is there any way to get him used to hugs & being picked up? He's only 10 months old, am hoping I can change behaviour before he gets too old. Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
252 Posts
LadyGrey said:
LittleWill doesn't like to be picked up or held, but he adores attention and being petted etc. Is there any way to get him used to hugs & being picked up? He's only 10 months old, am hoping I can change behaviour before he gets too old. Thanks for any tips!
We have a cat, Domino, that is just like that. She loves to be petted, never gets tired of it, but try and pick her up and hold her, forget it! She isn't into that at all. Some cats never learn to love being held, it just depends on the cat.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It seems as if a lot of cats don't want to be picked up and held. I have 4 that don't seem to enjoy this. He is a "wild" teenager right now. He may settle down as he gets older. Your best bet right now is to encourage him to come onto your lap for attention while you are sitting relaxing. This is fairly close to being held. I have a cat that used to love being held, then I had to medicate her and she avoided me like the plague for a while. I encouraged her to come sit with me while I watched tv and she got better over time. Best of luck :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cat Twinkie used to hate being held, squirmed like crazy and would kick alot. Well everyday I held him even if its for a few seconds and petted him and even if he would growl I would hold him and not do anything else so he knows I'm not killing him. Now I can pick him up and hold him for several minutes and he likes me to walk him around the apt too. Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I mentioned in another thread how we discovered that Jimmy didn't like the *way* we were holding him. We always tried to hold him facing towards you - which he didn't like. Now we've discovered he likes to be held facing *away* from you. He'll let us hold him like that until we get tired and have to put him down. He especially likes it if we hold him up to the window or walk round a bit.
Perhaps your kitty would like that, too?

seashell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts