Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 60lbs dog and I use K9 Advantix II on him. Enzo will be joining me here soon and I just read that a certain chemical in K9 Advantix II is toxic for cats to be around (until it has been more than 24 hours since treating the Dog).

So... so that we don't run into any problems in the future, is there a flea/tick medicine that can be used on Dogs and Cats? Or, at least a Dog flea/tick control that is SAFE for cats to be around??

·
Registered
104 Posts
We use Revolution; the cat formulation is simply selamectin in alcohol with BHT as a preservative, and IIRC the dog formulation has exactly the same ingredients (their site seems to be down right now).

Typically, it's permethrin that causes problems in cats; it's found in a much higher concentration in the dog formulations (~45-65%) than cats can safely handle (~2%).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We use Revolution; the cat formulation is simply selamectin in alcohol with BHT as a preservative, and IIRC the dog formulation has exactly the same ingredients (their site seems to be down right now).

Typically, it's permethrin that causes problems in cats; it's found in a much higher concentration in the dog formulations (~45-65%) than cats can safely handle (~2%).
I was looking at Revolution actually, I liked that it protected against heartworm too!

My only issues with this product was that it didn't deter mosquitos and it only protects against one type of tick.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was looking at Revolution actually, I liked that it protected against heartworm too!

My only issues with this product was that it didn't deter mosquitos and it only protects against one type of tick.
While it doesn't deter mosquitoes it does effectively protect against heartworm, which is AFAIK the major concern with mosquitoes and pets, no? The compounds that do effectively repel mosquitoes... frankly aren't really anything I'd be comfortable giving a cat.

AFAIK selamectin has only been tested against one species, so it's not necessarily that it's not effective against others, so much as we're not 100% sure... which is why they're not allowed to claim it on the label :wink:

Oh shoot, I just realised it is only the dog version that protects against ticks... the cat version doesn't. That worries me.
It's exactly the same stuff, at the same dosage per body weight for both cats and dogs, so there's not much reason to believe it wouldn't work the same against ticks in a cat as a dog ;-) But again, AFAIK it hasn't been tested specifically against ticks in cats, so they're not allowed to claim it repels them on the label for cats.

Take a look at the info sheet available from the Revolution website (if it's back up yet...), and of course you can always search for "selamectin" on Pubmed to see pretty much all of the relevant research that's been done :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While it doesn't deter mosquitoes it does effectively protect against heartworm, which is AFAIK the major concern with mosquitoes and pets, no? The compounds that do effectively repel mosquitoes... frankly aren't really anything I'd be comfortable giving a cat.

AFAIK selamectin has only been tested against one species, so it's not necessarily that it's not effective against others, so much as we're not 100% sure... which is why they're not allowed to claim it on the label :wink:

It's exactly the same stuff, at the same dosage per body weight for both cats and dogs, so there's not much reason to believe it wouldn't work the same against ticks in a cat as a dog ;-) But again, AFAIK it hasn't been tested specifically against ticks in cats, so they're not allowed to claim it repels them on the label for cats.

Take a look at the info sheet available from the Revolution website (if it's back up yet...), and of course you can always search for "selamectin" on Pubmed to see pretty much all of the relevant research that's been done :)
Thank you for your advice!!!! Really appreciate it.

Is Enzo an indoor/outdoor cat?
Well, once he arrives here he will be indoor only for a while. However, I do have a dog that we regularly take out... he is treated regularly though.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
I wouldn't worry about treating the cat for anything. Especially ticks if the cat isn't going outdoors. I'd only treat fleas for both cats and dogs if they end up getting them/if it's flea season. After all, fleas can be dealt with once found fairly quickly, regularly putting poisons on your pets to prevent something that isn't life threatening seems unnecessary, and also potentially dangerous.

I've known both people and dogs that have had ticks and they've just removed them with a lighter... they aren't often a huge deal and aren't all that common unless you're in an area that has an infestation or unless it's a particularly bad year for them.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
If ticks are a big problem in your area I would use frontline on your dog, and revolution on Enzo. Frontline can be used on cats too (but I prefer revolution it does more) but they make a feline frontline and unlike the Advantix, it won't hurt Enzo if he comes into contact with the frontline that was applied to the dog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I LOVE revolution! It treats so many things, and its so easy to use! And it works wonderfully! Plus its fairly affordable (buying for 4 cats does add up!)

All my cats are indoor cats, aside from Tucker who only goes out on his leash, so fortunatly we dont get fleas very often, which is good because Noodle gets horrid skin rashes. We have had this happen a few times.

When ever it does we run down to the vet to pick up revolution, and in about a week shes all cleared up! We tried a few other kinds, but a lot of them upset noodle more than the fleas, or took way to long to work. Revolution rocks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I LOVE revolution! It treats so many things, and its so easy to use! And it works wonderfully! Plus its fairly affordable (buying for 4 cats does add up!)

All my cats are indoor cats, aside from Tucker who only goes out on his leash, so fortunatly we dont get fleas very often, which is good because Noodle gets horrid skin rashes. We have had this happen a few times.

When ever it does we run down to the vet to pick up revolution, and in about a week shes all cleared up! We tried a few other kinds, but a lot of them upset noodle more than the fleas, or took way to long to work. Revolution rocks!
Great - thank you!

If ticks are a big problem in your area I would use frontline on your dog, and revolution on Enzo. Frontline can be used on cats too (but I prefer revolution it does more) but they make a feline frontline and unlike the Advantix, it won't hurt Enzo if he comes into contact with the frontline that was applied to the dog.
Ticks are a problem in my area for sure, and also, we take our dog out and about a lot in the parks and I would worry. I'd rather both of them be protected.

I wouldn't worry about treating the cat for anything. Especially ticks if the cat isn't going outdoors. I'd only treat fleas for both cats and dogs if they end up getting them/if it's flea season. After all, fleas can be dealt with once found fairly quickly, regularly putting poisons on your pets to prevent something that isn't life threatening seems unnecessary, and also potentially dangerous.

I've known both people and dogs that have had ticks and they've just removed them with a lighter... they aren't often a huge deal and aren't all that common unless you're in an area that has an infestation or unless it's a particularly bad year for them.
This would worry me, not treating him... I guess we could not treat him while he is 100% inside... but when he starts venturing out, I'd rather him be protected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.