Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to make the kitten not use the dog door? It's a fairly large door, my dog is 50 lbs.we don't want the kitten to get lost or hurt, out cats are mainly indoors now since the past ones got killed outdoors...

My cat Maple was injured to a point where she can't jump the fence and our backyard is pretty secure so we don't mind her enjoying herself out there. However this new kitten Akira is a bouncy little one, 5 months old and will be spayed in January (vet's choice) and today she got half way out the dog door! Nope! She hasn't learned about it til now... :( so we have to keep it closed til we can figure something out. Any suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Get a magnet, electronic or microchip controlled dog door. I would go with the magnet... only the dog wearing the magnet will be able to go out, and it doesn't require batteries.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
The only way I know of is the get one of those doors that also have an RFID collar for the dog. The dog can come and go but the other animals can't (I guess unless they dash between his legs!). Sorry, I know I'm not much help here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, it's just I don't have those options because the dog door is the patio kind, so I can't replace that, my parents say they don't wanna make a hole in the wall.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Crazy idea maybe...but could you frame around the opening and add a swinging door to that??
Then you could use one of those sensors on the dogs collar...

·
Registered
354 Posts
if the pet door is large enough for a 50 lb dog to go thru, I'm guess it swings both ways? Is it metal or wood or plastic? In my mind, I can see using something like speaker magnets (they are strong) and a piece of iron or another magnet. when the flap is closed, the magnets should hold it closed tight enough so the kitten can't force the magnets apart. But a big dog will be able to. by adjusting the distance between them, you might be able to also have a larger cat operate the flap but still the kitten can't? JMHO>

·
Registered
146 Posts
It does have a flap, I think plastic. How would I add a magnet? Would it be THAT dangerous for the kitten to go outside?

You say earlier that your other cats have been killed by going outside, so yes, it does sound like it is dangerous in your area for your cats to go outside. She might get lucky and nothing bad will happen, but it definitely could. Also, until she is spayed she has absolutely no business going outside, irregardless of what you choose to do in the future. Cats can come into heat as young as 5 months, and since you have to wait another almost 2 months, she could and probably will come into season in that time. There is a reason that kitten season is right around the corner. Is there a particular reason your vet won't spay now? Spaying before the first heat pretty much eliminates her risk of developing mammary cancer in the future, so unless she is too small, or has another medical condition, I am not sure why the vet would want to wait.

Now, as for containment, I am not sure how you could make the door a locking one, but magnets might work. You could simply glue them on. Another option would be to add a cat fence around your yard, though your parents would probably not go for that either.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes, she was under 4 pounds at 4 months and the vet wanted to wait til she was bigger.

I suggested doing a 45 degree angle thing on the wall in the backyard but my parents didn't want to. 1 of the cats was 7 years old and probably actually got food poisoning and went outside to die.. And the second was white and she got out at night (if we let her outside it was durring the day and with supervision or even a leash) and got taken by an hour at 4 years old, it was on her birthday ;(

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't think it is a good idea to have the dog door at all. If kitty was to come into heat before She gets spayed male cats can smell them miles away. They will stop at nothing to get in. So if you were not home there could be a high chance she could get pregnant. What we did to secure our dog door there are these metal prongs that you can connect to the dog door that can pivot. So if you want to open it again all you have to do is move the prongs again. Needless to say we ended leAving the dog door permently closed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I will try to take a picture so yo can see. I got to thinking it might not work for you. We had a board that came with our dog door so we could slip it into the dog door so it couldn't be open.

Is there anyway you could stop using the dog door all together and just let him or her in and out?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just go another idea if you could cut a piece of paper the size of the opening of the dog door. Then find someone who could cut your a piece of board or metal you could slip in the opening of the door. Then see if you could use the prongs on both sides of the door to keep the board or mental in place.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
why don't you just replace the one you have with one made by the SAME BRAND but has the magnetic or chip lock ability, and replace it?

I know over the years I've replaced my catflap several times, never had to re cut anything. I just bought the same brand. They do manual as well as magnetic. The measurements, even the screw holes are the same.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jacky, are you talking ago for use or just to close it? Because if I want to close it for the night I just slip in the plastic closing piece and no one can use it.

Cat face, what would I be looking for in the replacement? It does have a magnetic bottom but the kitten can still get through.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts