Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat and my dog get along perfectly well. They are adorable together.. My dog is a Golden Retreiver..
My cat just had surgery on her head to remove a bug larve (uhh.. monday night.. got her back on tuesday night). The vet wants us to leave the wound open untill next tuesday and he gave us antibiotics to give to my cat..
She's starting to get back to her normal curious sell again... but the hole on her head is all but noticable.
Lately, my dog has been trying to lick the wound. Its very cute, but i dont want him to do that.
Even though i heard somewhere that a dogs mouth can clean things, i'm just trying to clear things up.. should i allow him to lick the wound? Its always fairly oily because of one of the antibiotics..
I just dont like yelling at my dog for something he thinks is right. Wednesday doesnt seem to mind at all, and she'll even entice him to lick it by meowing at him and nudging his nose with her head..
Could someone just help me with this?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That is so sweet of your doggie to do that - they seem to have the perfect relationship, don't they? I wish I could see them *hint, hint*
About he licking - what kind of antibiotics was your kitty administered orally or topically> If they were applied right on the wound then I would worry about the dog licking them.
I don't have any experience with this situation so hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in as soon as they see the thread - I would like to learn how do deal with it too
Here is what I would do, however - I would keep an eye on them and gently take away the dogs attetntion from the wound. Sort of distract him ..I know it sounds like a lot to do but I would hate to see them separated
Happy to hear your kitty is better after the surgery :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, it is really cute. When ever we are giving kitty her antibiotics, shes always crying and growling. My dog, harley, is always sitting at the edge of the table trying to find out my Wednesday is crying. Then after wards he is always licking the top of her head. Now that we've kinda got him to stop liking the wound, he just licks her head. But i still dont want her wound to get infected.
Wednesday is on oral antibiotics and a cream that we have to put into the wound.. I dont want the dog to lick it and possibly get sick.

Also, i'm trying to find cute pics of them together.. The most i can find is them eating next to each other, but I took the pic when the dog was hacking on a peice of food.. without knowing it.. So it looks kinda weird..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts