Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat I got from the shelter HATES the dogs. I have a beagle, and a springer spaniel. We have the baby gate up so the dogs can't bug her since she's been here for just a little under a month. But everytime one of the dogs comes up to the gate she hisses, growls, and eventually if they get to close she tries to attack them. In a few weeks I'd like to take the baby gate down because she has got to get used to the dogs because its very annoying trying to get down the stairs when you have to climb over a 3 ft baby gate. Should I just let it down and hope she lets the dogs know to just leave her alone?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Are you sure the dogs won't hurt her? Do you have other cats? I do think they eventually have to sort it out on their own, but if there's a chance the dogs could hurt her, I'd muzzle and/or leash them the first time the cat is nearby. Best of luck!

·
Registered
252 Posts
That sounds like a good idea, a muzzle or leashing them, then see what happens. It can certainly be frustrating when your kids don't want to get along.... I know. LoL! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah we had a cat about 8 months ago then died, he was with our family longer then the 2 dogs we have now. One of them is such a sissy she'll run away when she just sees the cat, the other (the beagle) will bark at the cat. Through the baby gate to calm the beagle down all I have to do is yell at her and she stops. Hopefully the dogs will just ignore her when she walks by.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
They should sort out everything by themselves but since you had a previous cat before, at least that helps. Anyways have your dog on a leash and hold them while your cat is in the same room, that way the dog just can't run up to the cat and attack if they are in that mood. That would be a bad start. Good Luck! (((=

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kitkat said:
They should sort out everything by themselves
Thats exactly what my dad told me. Hopefully it'll all work out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts