Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Artie and Mu have still been doing ok together. They still have little moments of play and they seem comfortable with each other.

But every so often I'll hear Mu yowling and I'll see Artie on top of him biting his neck. It's more like Artie is just holding him there. I usually just clap my hands or say "hey!" and Artie lets him go. Mu doesn't seem any worse for wear afterwards and usually as soon as Artie lets him go, he'll playfully bat at Artie's face.

I'm figuring it's just a dominance thing, right? Is it anything I should be worried about?

I'm honestly not worried about it right now (but I will be if you tell me too!). I remember Steppenwolf doing very much the same thing to Artie when he was the new kitten.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I try to let mine work out their play fighting. If I ever think its too much I do the same thing...I yell hey and cap my hands...sometimes ill go over

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like the initial playing has been replaced with this posturing and dominance asserting stuff.

Mu rolls around and bats the air in front of Artie and Artie just sits there looking at him. Then Artie will jump on him, bite his neck, and hold him down. Mu says "Owww ow."
Then Artie will let go and start licking Mu, until Mu tries to move and then Artie will either bite him and hold him again or just let him run off.

Mu always comes back though for more of the rolling around and batting at Artie and then it starts all over.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
That sounds like playing to me. No dominance business.

My boys do this all the time, they switch who is the 'aggressor' regularly and seem to each enjoy both roles.

IMO cats are a lot less interested in who is 'dominant' than we think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts