Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Our wonderful coon cross 15 month old Arlo is a very playful guy. We brought him a 10 week old mix sister last week who is not fearful and very sweet.
Introductions have gone quite well and we have removed the baby gate. Most of the time they are around each other and calm. They eat facing each other with no problems and little Annie even can sniff arlos plate with no issue from him.
my issue is that a couple times a day Arlo jumps on her or pins her down and she ends up growling or hissing at him. He even goes for her neck. There has not been any injury from this but it’s clear he is showing his dominating behaviour. We firmly say no or clap hands to get him to stop and then we separate them for awhile.
is there anything I can do to help this behaviour? Our neighbors cat has been doing this to their other cat for years and it’s so sad to me. I understand they need to establish alpha however I don’t want her scared of him.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
If your big Arlo is not neutered, then that's the first thing to have done. He is showing "mating behavior" toward a little female kitty by grabbing her by the neck and mounting and subduing her. She's just too small to have to put up with this bully behavior of Arlo. Some kitties have been raped and received injuries this way. One solution might be to get a water pistol, and when you see him doing this to spray him without him seeing you do it. That may scare him from this behavior. Thou even if he does see you doing this, when he does grab her by the neck and mounts say "No" sternly and if he doesn't get off her spray him. You may have to separate them if you cannot supervise his bully behavior, or he doesn't behave. When she is another 2-3 wks. of age, you should get her spayed. Some females can come into heat as early as 4 mos. You definitely don't want to wait that long. Hope these suggestions are helpful. All the best!.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response! Arlo is neutered and she was spayed before coming to us. He doesn’t mount her but he does hold her down

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a separate suggestion to maybe help Arlo feel more comfortable around little Annie (both beautiful btw!), I have read that many cats do NOT like to eat near each other, because it could be competition for their food and makes them uncomfortable. My two boys only play fought and knew each other from an even younger age, but whenever I gave them canned food, if I put the bowls even a few feet away from each other, Dutch (the slightly younger) would walk away from the food and wait several feet away... if I brought him his wet food to this apparently appropriate distance, he would eat. Idk if that will help even a little bit, but I hope others can give more suggestions for smoother introductions. I tried to bring a borderline feral female foster kitten into my male cat family, all fixed, and it was terribly distressing for all of us, esp breaking up fights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts