Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black and white Domino arrived at my feral cat colony last May, transported by our local rescue group Animalkind. He came with Jess, a young female tuxedo and Stripes, an energetic youngster who had never been socialized but was curious about people.

Every other feral cat I’d been given had either hid in the carrier or bolted out and looked for cover. Domino walked out, looked around and sat down in the large acclimation cage. He purred when I petted him and wanted to head-bump. I could pick him up. He had the smallest, wisest eyes I had ever seen. Physically, he was a stocky bruiser but he absolutely loved people.

Clearly, Domino was not a feral. So what was he doing here?

Found as a stray, Domino had a history of picking no-holds-barred fights with cats he considered a threat. This made him an outlaw in the free-range cat room at Animalkind. Neither was he a good fit for the feral cat room, where things weren’t quite so polite and former toms were quick to fight back. One volunteer ended up in the hospital with a bad bite after breaking up a Domino-instigated fight.

So here he was at my feral barn. His third or fourth or fifth chance. There was no one nearly his equal; could he assume the role of responsible alpha cat?

No, as it turned out. He beat up a young, shy gray cat named TJ, who already lived in the colony, so badly and so repeatedly that I knew he couldn’t stay. It broke my heart. I went back and forth, trying to make it work, but after three weeks or so, Animalkind offered to make Domino their office cat if I wanted to bring him back. I did, feeling awful.

I felt like I’d abandoned him, but I did visit often with treats, catnip and his cat comb. He had a few dust-ups with another office cat, but with all the people around he started to relax.

That was in June. I visited him all summer. Animalkind worked hard on socializing him. The last time I saw him, in September, he was back in the free-range cat room, taking a nap, and three other cats were using him as a pillow.

Domino had arrived. He was adopted soon after, a happy and sad day too for me, since I would never see him again. I wondered about his new family.

Well, this week, great news. Domino’s people wrote in with an update. They love him. He’s doing well. He gets to go outside. They know exactly how special he is.

Here is the link: About Domino - 15 Mar 2011 - Fan Mail - Animalkind

And even more Domino news this week: Domino is on the ‘Must Love Cats’ segment tonight on Animal Planet, 6 pm. It’s the segment called ‘Kitty Fashion Plates and NYC's Best Mousers.’ There is a clip filmed in Catskill, NY about the town’s painted cat scultures and who do you think is the “honorary mayor” of this event?

Domino! In the clip he is being held by Animalkind director Katrin Hecker.

Can’t wait to see this episode. How I loved that cat! He’s not only doing great; he’s famous.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
What a lovely story with such a happy ending. I wish I could watch it, but Must Love Cats is not yet being broadcast in Canada. Drat!

·
Registered
293 Posts
That episode airs here in about an hour. I am not feeling good (hubby says it's radiation poisoning :roll:)its windy and raining outside so I'm on the sofa with all my kitties watching Animal Planet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just saw the episode! You must be a very proud foster mommy! Domino presented himself well. Not only is he an honorable mayor but now an Animal Planet star!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What an awesome cat. When I asked the people at Animalkind why they'd picked Domino for the show they said it was because of all their cats (200+) he was the most people-oriented and least likely to fuss. One of the women who works there said to me, "We're especially proud of Domino because he was one of our more difficult cases."

Way to go, Domino.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts