Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Here are several more ways we can help. I'm sure our members can add more:

Spay or neuter your pets.

Don't buy from a puppy or kitten farm.

If you're not looking for a specific breed, go to a shelter to choose.

Don't buy from a dog or cat from a pet shop. The animals don't get enough exercise or room enough for comfort, and the pet shops often buy from kitten farms and puppy mills.

Support spay, neuter, release programs for ferals.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Those look like pictures of cats and dogs that are sold for meat in the Philippines. I saw a documentary about that once. The animals were stuffed carelessly into tiny cages, and taken on a long journey to the market, where they waited for someone to come and buy them. Then the merchant would kill the animal - I won't describe how because it was horrible. Also, the programme showed a restaurant where live cats were being put into ovens. I found that really upsetting.
When are people going to realise that animals have thoughts and feelings too?

·
Registered
328 Posts
You could say that we were hypocrites, because we kill animals for meat too. It might seem worse to us because we see cats and dogs as 'cute'. Still, it doesn't make it any less horrific. Also, at least cows etc are killed quickly.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Well, I hope most cows, pigs, chickens, etc.. are killed quickly and humanely. I have a feeling if I knew too much about the meat industry I would quickly become a vegetarian. As it stands the older I get the more willing I would be to give up meat.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Majicou said:
You could say that we were hypocrites, because we kill animals for meat too. It might seem worse to us because we see cats and dogs as 'cute'. Still, it doesn't make it any less horrific. Also, at least cows etc are killed quickly.
I was thinking this too, but most offen for us animals are killed in a (relatively) humane nature. Like when do you do to a market to pick a chicken jammed into a cage with a bunch of others?

I suppose you could say that about lobster though - I find that the a very evil way to die. I don't like losbster anyway - the fact the look like insects doesn't help. Plus in this area there was the SwissAir crash off shore a few years ago - found that pretty disturbing (not that it would matter now but it sorta turned me off to them as a whole).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here are several more ways we can help. I'm sure our members can add more:
If you are looking for a specific breed, look into breed rescues. There's one out there for almost every dog and cat breed you can think of.

Check with you local shelter to see if they have a wish list. Shelters are always in needs of something whether it's towels, toys, food, litter ect.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I would like to ask Jeanie why not buy from a farm or pet shop?
I am saddened just like everybody here about horrific things especially when they happen to innocent beings (whether they are children or animals). I used to be a vegetarian for about a year or so and I had these horrible headaches so I started eating meat again..but I hardly ever eat it anyways. And I still have some meats I would never touch like lamb, duck, deer or rabit...I try to eat fish more than anything. I will be looking more into the nutrition value of the protein shakes they have in the stores these days...

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Ioana, a puppy or kitten mill or farm is a building full of cages and enclosures used to hold dogs or cats for breeding only. These animals seldom get petted or exercised. The owners breed one litter after another, with little attention paid to good bloodlines or improving the health or conformation of the breed. The animals are money making machines. The owners sell most of their animals to pet shops where they are put in cages and often meet the same conditions. There is not room or time to pet and exercise each animal as it needs and deserves.

A puppy or kitten farm does not necessarily mean a literal farm. The term means breeding many litters per year for the purpose of making money.

In contrast, an ethical breeder loves the animal for itself. They breed to preserve the breed, and treat them as pets. Most often, they show their animals. Always, the well being of the animal comes first. Seldom does the hobby pay for itself. My collies (and kittens) were born in my bedroom and raised underfoot. And anyone who wanted to buy one of my babies felt as if he was being questioned by the FBI, I'm sure! I kept my two mother collies until they died. And I still have my Siamese queen, who is now spayed. They are loved pets, first and foremost.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Thank you for the explanations, Jeanie; I understand now
I draw one conclusion from all of you have told me + what I see with my own eyes = > the fact that those people should treat animals with respect and affection.. But that is probably not going to happen, with all the will I have to change the fact, because money rules the minds of those individuals
You are one of those special people that puts love and affection beyond anything and that is admirable

·
Registered
44 Posts
reminds me of an article someone wrote in the local newspapers: I can hear the lobsters scream.. was about someone trying to cook lobsters for the first time and they were scrabbling away frantically in the pot.. ugh do lobsters have nervous systems anyway... if i had to catch and kill my own food i'd never eat meat again for the rest of my life

1 - 16 of 16 Posts