Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry, this may be a little long but please help...

A couple of weeks ago my cat was spayed at the vet. She is a little over 6 months old. Afterwards I noticed that she wasn't really eating so I took her in because I was worried. Turns out she had a bladder and kidney infection. Something went wrong during or after the spay.

I am not sure what the levels are called, one is BUN and the other Creatinine I think. But normal levels, I was told, are around 30 for one and 2.5? for the other. Anyway, her's were just over 100 and the other was at around 4.2. She was given medicine and IV's and within a few days it looked like she would recover. Her levels were down to around 40 and high 2's or low 3's if i recall. Everything was going good.

The vet was going to check up on her in about a week. A couple of days ago I didn't think she was eating again, and when I went in we did blood tests again. Her BUN was back up around 80 and the other level was at 4.9. :cry:

I don't know what to do. She was put on some more medicine, stronger I think. We are going to administer IV for the next week, so I will take her to the vet after work each day. We will go until the levels get back to normal. Last time they got back down to 'almost' normal.

Now I am thinking the damage that was done is probably permanent. As I read into it more, she had so many symptoms I should have seen. She was peeing in huge amounts probably because she was dehydrated, I don't know. Would not eat...I should have taken her in at that exact moment, I feel horrible. It is hard to tell what kind of pain she is in because she runs around quite a bit, but I know she has slowed down.

I don't want to put her to sleep, but I may have to. She is only 6 months old and I have grown so attached to her.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Other treatments? Transplants? I don't know how much that would cost. I don't know what to do if treatment doesn't work...again. I would be so sad If I had to put her to sleep. It is sad to look at her, and she has know idea.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
She may have gone into acute renal failure. While there will probably be some residual scarring, she should be able to recover completely. But, you have to give it time! She will not recover overnight, it will take months. Be patient and let the vet do what's best.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts