Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if you kind people would give me some advice.

I am about to move to Australia and I was going to take my two pussycats with me. As you know, my little furbaby Bob passed away last weekend, so I only have my Tahllulla now. The problem is that I am a bit concerned about the stress of the flight and her month in quarantine. It wasn't so bad when it was the two of them because they would have been company for each other, but now...

Also, she's been really stressed out this week with whats happened and I am really worried about adding to her stress, but I have a feeling that no matter what I do, I'll be adding to her stress (dammed which ever way I turn) She doesn't like being in her cat carrier but its not a huge issue.

The question is, would you recommend trying to re home her or taking her with me? I honestly don't care about how I feel (I want to take her), I just want to do whats best for my baby girl. If I do take her, its going to be a 24 hour flight, a month in quarentine and then another two hour flight just to get her too me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She will be seven in June and she's been with me since she was just twelve weeks old. It is defiantly just one months quarantine in Australia, I've checked and double checked. If it was any longer, I just wouldn't be able to do it to her.

I must have the only cat in the world thats not to crash hot on toys (I've bought her loads of different ones, but no joy really), she's a pain in the backside trying to groom her, she just hates it.

Your right, this is all just a one time thing and out of both of my cats, I always thought that Tilly would be the one to cope with the situation best.

So thats one vote for taking her with me.:)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
While making up your mind, perhaps you should take into consideration how much stress losing you forever will be for her if you re-home her.

Lost cats have been separated from their owners and been overjoyed to be reunited. Perhaps there's a member who's been through a separation/reunion who could give advice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i agree with jusjims' comment. it sounds to me like if Tahllulla were able to make the decision the choice would be one month quarantine instead of losing you.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Personally, I would always take my cats with me, they are not the type that would bond with anyone else easily, although that fact wouldn't even enter into it since I also consider them family - family stick together, I wouldn't be moving if I couldn't take them.

If your cat takes a long time warming up to someone, I would say there should be no question - take her with you. On top of that, she isn't a very young cat, I think rehoming at that age is unfair. Ultimately, even if she were friendly to strangers, that does not mean she wants to live with them. I don't usually agree with leaving a cat behind.

In the end, even if there are trials to go through which she won't understand, I think your cat would rather be with you. It's either go through not only the stress of rehoming - new place and new people, always wondering where you are, or a new place but in the grand scheme of things, she's back with you so that new place won't seem all that bad. The flight and quarantine likely pale in comparison to rehoming stress.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'd definitely take her with you, and I agree with the other posters. The stress of the flight/quarantine will be much less than the stress of re-homing, especially given her age and the length of time you've been together. Once she's back with you after the quarantine, she'll be a lot happier.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I think I agree with the others. Recently, my mother has been ill and in the hospital. Her cat mourned her and wasn't happy, but he coped. Now that my mom is back home, he is in 7th heaven and its as if that month of absence never happened! I think one month of stress is better than a lifetime.

That said, if she is the kind of cat that really stresses out in new and unfamiliar settings, then it would give me pause. I have owned a cat in the past that I would have refused to put through a flight and quarantine because I know it would have killed him. Literally, he would not have survived. Only you can know your cat and know if she's that "type" of cat or not. If I was faced with this situation with my cat who couldn't have handled quarantine. he also couldn't have handled rehoming. I would have canceled my move. But thats me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the general opinion is that it's in her best interests to come with me. This does actually make me feel better, that I'm doing the right thing by her. I was worried that I was doing the best thing for me by bringing her.

I can honestly say that I don't know how she copes with unfamiliar settings as we have only moved once since we have had her and she was only about six months old at the time. We very rarely go away and leave the cats (I just miss/worry about them too much) and when we do, one of my neighbours come's in to play and feed them, so they are never out of their home environment.

She always does have a bit of a grumble when she has to go to the vets and when I brought her home from being spayed, she carried on terribly. She attacked Bob and actually climbed up my back to try and get at him (I was cut to ribbons). I put her in the back bed room with a Feiway diffuser and she calmed down after a couple of days. This might have just been because she was in pain though, although I did get the vet to give her a pain killer shot. This was about 3 and 1/2 years ago now and I do think that she has calmed down a lot in that time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
No question- take her with you. She's already lost her brother (I'm guessing Bob was her brother cat) don't let her lose her Mummy too.

24 hours on a plane and one month quarantine is a drop in the ocean compared to her whole life.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I think it really depends on the cat's temperament and personality, and how well bonded the cat is to you.

Some cats are happy as long as they're fed, played with a little and can have loving attention when they want it on their terms. Some cats are what I call a cat's cat....they prefer the company of other cats and really don't care much about attention as long as they're fed. If she's like either, I would rehome her. Then, there are other cats who are very bonded to you from the beginning either as kittens, or pick you out at a shelter and are very affectionate from the beginning. They don't like being out of your presence, always seek your companionship and/or lap. They are always there for you, especially if you're ill. If she's the latter I would probably risk the trip, even tho with her temperament she will likely be quite stressed by it, since she isn't used to travel.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I wouldn't take her with me. Just think of all the petting and treats you'll have to give her to make up for the 32 days apart! I'd return her to her natural mother and tell her the adoption was actually only temporary.

(Just kidding, of course. I'd soooo totally take her!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I absolutely think, too, that you should take her. She has already lost her brother, she should not lose you, too, now. I wish you two all the best and I will keep my fingers crossed that the flight and the quarantine will work out smoothly! Please let us know how you fare in Australia, ok?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right thats it, its settled. She's coming with. I've just told my husband what I have decided and he just said like he thought that I would ever come to another decision.:p

Although I could be tempted not to take her (not really), fussy little madam is currently sitting with three different bowls of food and is turning her nose up at every one of them, yet has just pinched a left over sausage of a plate (this has never happened before, she doesn't usually like human food). I have come to the conclusion that the more expensive the food, the less likely she is to eat it. I've only just changed her back on to her wet diet and will (try) to get her on a raw one once she's in Australia. There doesn't seem much point while she has to go into quarantine.

I would like to thank each and every one of you who has taken the time to answer, as usual you are all a fountain of information. Thanks :kittyturn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts