Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bring from the office the paper from the shredder in huge bags, place it on the living room floor and Prince has a feast burrowing in it, jumping on it, chewing the paper, batting at it. Then I bury the Cat Dancer or any other wand toy in the paper "hay" and watch him go crazy with delight trying to detect it in the pile of paper. I sometimes take a pile and throw it over his head, thus burying him in the shreds, and he won't try to come out from inside the pile, he absolutely loves to feel all covered, it's such an advantage for stalking the Cat Catcher prey.

I'm assuming that no one except me would try this, because I'm probably the only housewife that doesn't mind shredded paper reaching even her own pillow (how did it get all the way there?!), but anyway I wanted to comment on how much fun we have.

I then pick up the shreds that scatter as I walk around the apt., and the small ones go into the vacuum cleaner.

This is because there's no hay to buy around here.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I probably wouldn't mind doing that every once in a while, like once or twice a month. On a day where I had time to goof off and then clean up the 'disaster'! LOL

Did you try that with Princess?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "hay" has been lying in that corner for a few days. There's no major disaster zone.

Princess can't come out of the room without Prince chasing her and making her miserable, unfortunately.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Straysmommy, do you use hay/straw as a play toy, the same way as the shredded paper?
I use straw as an insulation for ferals and have lots of it, but never thought of using it for my own lovebug, Ritz. Is the straw too rough, hard? Do your cat(s) eat it (or try to)?
I think Ritz would like to play and hide in the straw. She loved playing in the shredded paper I brought home once. She was suppose to PEE in it (non-absorbing litter, to get a urine sample for a suspected UTI), but, um, found another use for it...

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, where do you find hay/straw to buy? I'd love to get some for my strays and my house cats! *turns green with envy*

Hay and straw are the natural stuff for cats. Generally we have replaced that with cushions and shredded paper, but the temperature and consistency of the hay / straw is what cats would normally need.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not sure where you live, but any farm store carries it. Also, gardeners may use it as a ground cover, to protect plants. And certainly any one who boards or raises horses would have it.
Hay is nutritional; straw is not. Probably either is fine.
WARNING: a "barrell" of straw is a LOT of straw, but that's usually the smallest amount you can buy. Should cost less than $10. One-quarter fills about three or four large size garbage bags; I still have two from last year. I still have pieces in my back seats, sticks to everything.
Does the straw/hay get stuck in cat's hair? Ritz is short haired.
Have fun! It's a joy watching our furballs have fun.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here you have to go to the countryside and buy the huge blocks of straw that I wouldn't have a place to store at home. But if it sticks to the carpet, then I can't use it, because my apt. is almost all wall-to-wall. It'd be lovely for the strays downstairs, though.

·
Registered
435 Posts
How about confining the stray/hay to a zerox-size box or a LARGE tupperware/rubbermaid/no-name brand plastic box, like 20" high. (I use a large plastic tub because Ritz pees standing up, and her urine stream is 17" high. Yeah, I measured.) You can cut a hole in the side for ease of access--or let your cat practice her jumping skills. Not quite as messy.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd like to confine it, yes, but Prince is very big and he likes to roll in it, so the confinement will have to be the size of a baby's playpen or something like that...

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
You are a great meowmie to do such a wonderful thing for Prince! It sounds like such fun and great exercise for him.

Do you recycle the shredded paper when he is done?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. No, the shredded paper is permanently in the same corner for him to play when he wants. The day I want rid of the pile, I'll throw it away in the paper recycling bin in the neighborhood. It's as if he had read us, because he suddenly jumped now into the pile, LOL

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That's a really cool idea! I don't think I'd like a pile of paper in my unit constantly but I'd definitely try it as a one day game and clean it all up at the end of the day.. I'm thinking maybe even a big cardboard box with entry 'holes' for the cats and filling the box with the shredded paper might be fun for them too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've shredded paper for my cats with the paper shredder. It took a long time to do it but the cats loved it. Worth the effort. If I could find a place that it was already shredded that would be great.

Kathy

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here you have to pay for a company to come pick up your shredded paper, so offices are desperate for anyone to take theirs. I just bring it from my office, with huge thanks from the maintenance person.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts