Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these apricots from Kroger the other night. They smelled nice but when I just ate one, it was very bland and the other one was downright disgusting. Grr. I was looking forward to eating them this morning, too. BLAH.

tanyuh

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grr, I just hate it! What a waste of money! Fruit is a gamble (that's what Seinfeld said hehe) but it's true! It looks fine but it just sucks when you bite into it - and because you have bitten into it, you can't take it back!! ARGH what I wouldn't give to live near an orchard. Which reminds me, I was visiting the Okanagan Valley in B.C. one summer when I was a kid and we stole some apricots from this guy's tree and he chased us down the block with a broom, haha. Best apricots I ever had though! Maybe it's time to go to the farmer's market.

Does anyone here have a garden? Vegetable garden? Flower garden? I have a small container garden of flowers. I haven't gotten brave enough to try vegetables in containers.

tanyuh

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use to but when we moved to this place 3yrs ago the plants weren't agreeing to the sun here. I had eggplants, zuchini, tomatoes, and I had a full herb garden. I have tons of orchids still. They are my favorites. We plan to move within the next year. Once we move to a house I will be starting a garden again. Oh BTW the veggies and everything were all container. They did great at my last house. Oh well I will try again soon. :wink:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Which reminds me, I was visiting the Okanagan Valley in B.C. one summer when I was a kid and we stole some apricots from this guy's tree and he chased us down the block with a broom, haha. Best apricots I ever had though! Maybe it's time to go to the farmer's market.
LOL That's too funny!! :lol: No wonder why it tasted so good.

I was thinking of starting a herb garden because the local supermarket doesn't have a large variety of fresh herbs but I don't have much of a green thumb and wouldn't know where to begin. :(

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I do lots of flowers in containers. We are redoing our back yard and moving the veggie garden so I wouldn't be able to plant vegetables this year. I will miss it, nothing like the taste of fresh out of the garden!
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
58 Posts
We have an apple tree and we grow *clears throat*:
Apples (duh), raspberries, golden raspberries, gooseberries, black caps, blackberries, radishes, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, strawberries, basil and kiwi. We have the huge viney kiwi plant that's growing all over the side of my house, choking the day lilies, and we've had no kiwi! And we've had the dumb plant for 4 years!
I love fresh veggies!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Gracious! Around here everyone seems to grow corn...lots and lots of corn......

We have 3 tomato plants and a flower garden. At our old house we had fruit trees and a rather large backyard garden. (My dad used to make me and my sister shuck corn - not fun at all)

·
Registered
58 Posts
The thing is our garden is very small so we grow the berries on one side of our house and the peppers and basil in pots and the rest we just cram into the lil garden. But hey, it's all good.
Corn fields creep me out hehehe all because of the movie Signs. And because I found this HUGE gross ugly caterpillar in an ear of corn in a corn field once. My relatives live in my Michigan and whenever we visit all you see is corn...but I've only husked it when we buy it from the grocery store.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nah, corn doesn't bother me. What's really bad is when there's COWS...stinky, smelly, nasty COWS right in front of your front yard!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone have pics of their garden??? I'd love to see em! I took some of my little container garden when I first planted them in early May. I'll take some more and post em. Joe does a great job of making a panorama for me. All I have are flowers.

tanyuh

·
Registered
328 Posts
My garden isn't very interesting... just a lawn, an apple tree, a grubby patio and a birdbath with some manky yellow water which the crazy cat next door likes to drink. :?
But we get little apples in the summer, which is nice. And the people next door (owners of the crazy cat) have a cherry tree in their garden, except that most of it overhangs my garden, so the cherries that fall off are mine, all mine! :lol:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
*DROOLS* cherries......

Don't get many cherries around here and when we do they are like 5 bucks a pound. YIKES! Too bad cuz I LOVE them......mmmmmmmm...

tanyuh

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ooo cherries rock!! I went to my friend's house last night and she has a delicious cherries growing on a small tree...it was heaven

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Quote from Kate:
. And because I found this HUGE gross ugly caterpillar in an ear of corn in a corn field once.
Have you ever seen a tomato worm? Ewww! They're big, fat, and green--about the size of your thumb, and they have a horn! They're the worst I've ever seen. I love to work with plants, but the best way to get rid of those is hand picking. (They don't bite, though.) You don't want to put poison on your tomatoes!

Julie, ORCHIDS? Do you still grow them? That would be wonderful. I wish I had a greenhouse. The weather in PA is not conducive to the growing of orchids!

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
My mom used to grow peppers and little vegetables in the small garden we had in our backyard but that was before we had a dog in the backyard! The peppers are very hot when home grown. I did have a bad experience with fruit the other week. I bought one nectarine which was like $2 something for 1, and I ate it and yuck, it was quite nasty and black in the middle. Worst of all, its a waste of the $2 I spent on it! Thank goodness I didnt buy a big bag of them. :roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts