Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so if you all remember, I posted a thread a while back about how we (me and my partner, that is) might take in a friend's cat because of his son's allergies.

Well, if everything goes according to plan, the cat is scheduled to arrive here on Saturday and I am rather freaked out about it. I thought that the cat was about 6 years old, as I pointed out before, but yesterday we went to visit him and got told that he is nearly 10! Although he does like me, he's rather skittish and I'm pretty afraid that he won't get along with our kittens.

The kittens are... rambunctious at best. They jump, run and wrestle together all the time and I'm not sure if that will go well with this older cat. That said, of course it's possible to return him if things don't go well, but I really want to make it work because the guy (our friend) was so happy to see the cat go to a good house with someone (me) home 24/7.

We're planning to leave the older guy (his name is Monkey) in his carrier and let the resident cats sniff him and then isolate him in our room (basically the only closed place in the house, since the kittens have take over. They even sleep in the shower room. :p)

What do you all think?

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
I think you should take him directly to his safe room, no stopping and being inspected by the kittens, that will make him feel exposed in an already strange environment.

Do the whole slow introduction process.

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

Monkey is bigger than the kittens, so if they really get on his nerves, he'll let them know, maybe by bopping them on the nose. Hopefully they won't be too overwhelming for him. My twinz were a bit much for Cinderella at times, but she would do the nose-bop and they would back off. Except for the time Charlee nose-bopped her back. :shock:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
when I started letting Gypsy out of her safe room, Pepper would Bop her squarely between the ears. Usually took the wind out of sails for like 3 seconds before she was off to something else.

But I agree no stops, straight to his safe spot. He will feel less exposed that way.

Good luck with everyone getting along. Congrats on the new addition.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Turn about. Put the kittens in the safe room half the time and let the older cat roam to get used to the house without the kittens. He'll sniff out that kittens are near while getting used to his new home. The kittens will get used to his smell in the safe room

This, I know, is unconventional advice, but then I'm sometimes an unconventional person.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Turn about. Put the kittens in the safe room half the time and let the older cat roam to get used to the house without the kittens. He'll sniff out that kittens are near while getting used to his new home. The kittens will get used to his smell in the safe room

This, I know, is unconventional advice, but then I'm sometimes an unconventional person.
^^ done this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts