Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dr. Jean,
On another message board someone mentioned a new article in the JMAVA dated March 15 2004 regarding the relationship of pop-top cans and hyperthyroidism. If you get a chance I was wondering if you could check it out and give us a summary of it?
Thanks. :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
We only HAVE pop top cans here......I hope my cats won't get sick from it. Everything from Wellness to Felidae to Solid Gold are pop tops. ALL of them!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have read the article, and it's not exactly clear what the problem is. I'm planning to call Dr. Glickman and get some clarification. There are at least 25 different "lacquers" used in can linings, so how can we know which one(s) are the culprits? I'm guessing that since Friskies and Fancy Feast are the biggest selling canned foods it's likely to be something in that white type of can lining, but again, I will try to find out more from the author. He's a great guy and we have been talking about this for a year (which is how long JAVMA sat on it before publishing it!). Now that it's published I'm sure he'll be able to share more information.

I personally buy the 15-oz cans that require an opener. Of course, since few cats get these, the study may not have discovered a correlation if there was one.

It's a puzzlement!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts