Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both Rice and Bengo, our new kittens, just finished up Clavamox for URI symptoms. When we brought them home from the shelter Bengo was sneezing and Rice had a little bit of a runny eye. The shelter vet provided us with Clavamox for both of them. From what I have read/heard/learned these are symptoms of a URI. Now Surfboard, our 1 year old male cat, is sneezing. It seems only logical that he now has a URI and needs Clavamox. I called the vet to get more medicine but they insist on seeing him first. I understand the liability but they just give me the feeling they're money hungry. They charge $35 for the exam and $17 for a 15ml bottle of Clavamox. The vet tech said they may do more test and that would obviously be more money.
I guess my questions is, is it unreasonable to ask them for just the medicine under these circumstances? Is there any other way I could get the medicine? I'm not trying to short change my kitty but I just feel it's a waste of money to take him down there for them to tell me something I already know. Feel free to set me straight.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It is not legal to prescribe for an animal that you have not personally seen and diagnosed.

That said, most upper respiratory infections are viral, and antibiotics will make no difference. They will go away on their own in 7-10 days. Which is, guess what, about the same time you give antibiotics.

Lots of antioxidants and immune-supportive herbs would be just as effective as antibiotics.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surfboard sneezed all night long. Big sneezes too. If the meds the vet would give him don't really help, is there any point in taking him to the vet? Do I just let him get better on his own?

·
Registered
821 Posts
It sounds like what Maleke had. The vet put him on antibiotics for a while....2 weeks I think??? Anyway, it took a few days before I noticed a change...but it went completely away by the time the medicine was done. He would sneeze HUGE sneezes like four in a row.....I felt SO bad for him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts