Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted a 2 year old female medium hair domestic cat from the humane society about two weeks ago. This is my first cat. She is so lovely and such a great cat. :D

My question is: She seems to drink a LOT of water. She likes to drink water as soon as we fill her bowl (Although I have heard her drink out of her bowls through the night). I know I get her fresh water twice a day and my fiance once a day. She'll sit there and lap up water for at least 2 minutes before finally taking a break. Is this a normal amout of drinking?

I have 2 guina pigs and I know excessive water drinking is attributed to diabetes. The vets at the humane society checked her out, she is up to date on all shots and I had my vet check her out when I first got her (before I had the drinking question). Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
216 Posts
2 minuets at the water dish is not bad but how many times a day does she drink? my one cat, who eats just dry food goes to the water dish 2-3 times a day as i have observed. my other cat who eats wet canned food drinks less. call your vet if you think she is drinking too much, too often.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The only disease I know about that causes abnormal drinkingbehavior is diabetes. If you´re vet have checked here out and found her healthy she probably doesn´t drink too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re drinking a lot

Hi,

Ask your vet about the kidneys. I have just lost my beloved cat( last week) he was ten year old. Ever since he was a young kitten he drank a lot - it's a long story, other things masked the symptoms, I thought he was drinking because he was on cortisone (which does make them drink) for a mouth disease.

Anyway - drinking a lot can mean he has a problem with the kidneys (there's a few diseases relating to the kidneys) .

My cat had some disease called glomer ... something, can't remember the exact name. He went through a kidney transplant this month - but he only survived two weeks after the op, picked up an infection of the liver and died in his sleep.

Hope this helps , make sure you ask your vet if it could be the kidneys that's the problem (the only way that they can tell for certain is if they take a blood test first and measure the BUN, if necessary they will then take a Biopsy)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts