Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have 2 cats, Baily who is about 8 years old and Psycho, who is about 10 months old. Psycho love to play in water. He will take his paw and empty the water dish. It has gotten to the point where I have to put a plastic cup in the sink to contain water spills. Now that isn't really working. Somehow he manages to hook the cup and pull it up on the counter, dumping water everywhere. Other times he'll get a drink then knock the cup over. Both cats get plenty of attention and play. I hope this is a kitty thing and he'll outgrow it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Is there any way you can put the water dish in some sort of stand so he can't tip it over? Maybe if its higher up it won't be so easy to paw at it, and more will stay in.

Also, if you put down some sort of fabric or carpet place mat, it could soak up the water better. Other than that, I have no idea

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried the high up water dish and all that does is make for a bigger splash. I have mats down while they do soak up the water that is just something else to dry out. :) I'll live with it and continue to try and train him.

Thanks for the reply

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Does he actually tip the dish, or just flick the water out with his paw? If he actually tips the dish, you can try putting a large rock in the bottom of the bowl. There are some dog bowls that are really heavy too. I'm thinking he will grow out of this behaviour because he is still very young.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He paws it out and is very quiet about too. Maybe he is trying to live up to his name, Psycho, and I should rename him Docile. :lol:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
What about getting a kitty water fountain, those are heavy set and you can train him from there not to flick water. 8)

·
Registered
983 Posts
My cat Marsh also likes to paw at the water.. sometimes he'll do it vigorously, but he doesn't tip the dish, it's much too heavy for him and has high sides. We put just enough in there to cover the bottom, no more than 1/2 inch but enough to drink for a day until we change it the next am. The dish is at least 3-4 inches high, and he hasn't been able to splash enough water out or tip it :)

We did have a cheap alluminum dish before, that was also shallow, and he tipped that enough times for me to get a 'clue' ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
At least yours is just spilling water. Mine has an obsession with dumping over our iced tea. If we get something to drink and we turn our backs for one second she is there and has turned over the iced tea or coke or whatever you have (even water) and it is all over the light colored carpet. i always try to watch it but it like she knows the second the phone rings or something happens and she is there tipping it over. If you have something in a cup, it is all she wants to try and drink. then when she is done, she wants to tip it over. Especially if it has ice in it. She is also obsessed with that. I don't even know how we could break her of this. So, i know how you feel, but at least it isn't a colored beverage. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts