Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Booth has developed a rather adorable addiction to anything with water in it, except for his water dish. He just doesn't seem to like his dish. He'll drink out of it but he enjoys drinking out of my aquarium (he sticks a paw in, then licks the water off of his long toe hair), drinking out of any glass he can find, and the sink, MUCH better. He drinks so much from these other places that people have actually asked me if he has water somewhere when his water dish is full! Regarding glasses of water, he will climb up you if you have a glass because he wants to drink out of your cup so badly.

Is there anyway I can convince him that the water in his dish is exactly the same as the aquarium's water and every other source of water he might discover? I suppose I could just buy him some cups for Christmas and let him use them as water dishes, but I'd like to figure out what's going on in his head too.

He does like water in general, so maybe it's just him enjoying water... I don't know.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
He might just being curious about the fish or what you have. Have you thought about getting him a water fountain? My girls won't drink still water, but they love to drink running water from their fountains.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Some cats just like water. Doesn't drink out of the toilet, does he??

My ex-husband's cat would drink out of his aquarium (had no lid/cover and she would just stick her head in and lap it up). My aquarium had a lid, so she couldn't get to it. Not that she ever bothered the fish, just drank the water.
She would also drink stuff from cups and glasses...after knocking them over! I learned pretty quick not to abandon a drink, even for a moment.

I am going to get a drinking fountain for Christmas for my cats. Paizly has UTI issues, and it would be better if she drank more... cats seem to like moving water more than stagnant. Not sure if it's the "sparkle" from lights reflecting off the broken surface, or the noise of trickling... but whatever works, right?

This was posted by a friend on Facebook just a little while ago!

My cats don't do this, but several at the shelter do... very annoying when I'm trying to fill their water bowls! LOL

·
Banned
470 Posts
I vote don't fight it. He likes glasses, I'd get him a plastic glass and just hot-glue it to a base of some sort so he doesn't knock it over.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think sometimes they just find what they're not supposed to have more fascinating than what they're given. XD

My cats always want to drink out of my water glasses, and often knock them over in the process.

I definitely second the recommendation for one of those fountains though! We have one for our cats and they love it and use it frequently. The running water really encourages them to drink more.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I definitely second the recommendation for one of those fountains though! We have one for our cats and they love it and use it frequently. The running water really encourages them to drink more.
Thirded! I bought one to help Rochelle get more water in her system to help with her UTI, but all three of my girls go crazy for it. I'm probably getting a second one soon.

Samantha does like to drink from whatever glass I'm drinking from, whether it's water or not (of course I don't let her drink the non-water stuff, heh)...I think she just wants whatever I have because she does this with my food, any papers I might be holding, my computer mouse... Alice just likes to play with the straw. :roll:

Vivid Dawn - That video was so funny! Dunking your whole head under the water faucet is the only way to drink! XD

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Tuffy is the same way - he would much rather drink of my water glass or the sink than his own dish - I'm thinking of getting him a fountain for christmas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts