Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this topic on the forum, but was not satisfied with any of the answers.

I'm worried because I noticed that my cat has been drooling abnormally. When I first noticed her face was all wet earlier I thought she had gotten wet. But now I realized it's been coming from here since every time I touch her, her face and neck are wet, and once when I was petting her she accidentally spit on me. the drool is very clear, like water. She's been doing that all day today and now I'm worried sick. It's late and the vet is closed, what should I do? Is she ok? She's never been sick before.

Just to give you some background: Darcy is 2 years old, has all her shots, never goes out or has contact with other cats. Other than the drool she's acting normal.

Please, I hope I'm over-reacting, but I love my baby so much and I worry too much about her.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you checked to see if anything is stuck in her teeth?

I don't know about cats, but with gliders that drool can be a sign of an abscessed tooth or a gum infection. It could also be a throat issue or something in her mouth.

I would take her to the vet as soon as you can.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I'm assuming she's never been drooly before? Some cats drool when they're happy, but it doesn't sound like that is what is going on here.

As mel2mdl said, bad teeth or something stuck in her mouth could cause drooling. Another possibility is nausea or ingestion of something foul tasting or toxic.

I would get her to the vet today....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darcy's never drooled this much before. She would drool like any normal cat does, when she's ahappy or nervous. This is different, as she's drooling so much she leaves puddles wherever she goes and the fur bellow her mouth is constantly dripping wet. It is not normal :(

I toook her to the vet first thing this morning and he gave us some antibiotic to give her every night. He told us she might have an infection. He checked her mouth and apparently there's nothing wrong with her teeth.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
My parents had a brief problem with this a while ago.
Turns out that the cats tounge got damaged during a surgery.

Once it healed the drooling stopped.

Do you know of anything that could have damaged your cats tounge
or taste buds???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts