Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was torn between putting this post here or the behavior forum. But this is more of a health question anyway.

As some as you may know, my cat is currently MIA, though she has been spotted on neighbors on occasion. She took her leave, and I still miss her, but she seems to be happy enough whoever she is living with now. Miss M was seen literally two houses over, so its not as if she is lost.

Of course, right after this, God smiled at me and our neighbors cat has become a regular visitor. So Moocher, or Dust, depending, came over once again today. Not weird.

What was weird was the drooling. I'm not even sure if I should call it that. But when she was headbutting, purring, rubbing up against me and etc, sometimes there would be a little splat on the concrete. The first time I wrote it off, but then it happened again. I definitely think its saliva as it was clear and looked exactly like regular spit.

But she didn't *look* like she was drooling, which threw me off. No slobber or spit trails from her mouth.

This might be an oddity, but I was just wondering if it could be a cause for concern. Nothing else seemed out of the ordinary.

Sorry for all the rambling; its probably nothing and I'm making a big deal about it.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
MowMow drools all the time when I'm petting him. Big old puddles of dribble on the ground. There are no slobber trails and when I looked closer it seems like they drip down his little fangs.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
A cat who drools continually and isn't being petted may have a tooth problem or sore in its mouth.

But a cat who drools while being petted or even near someone cat likes very much, it's usually a sign of ectasy or just enjoyment. Count yourself lucky that he's not drooling all over your computer keyboard like my girl likes to do!

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
On top of what's already been mentioned, it also is more common in older cats.

Blaze, my orange boy, never used to drool. I can't say when it started, it's been many years of drool now (it comes out like a river when he gets scratches) - he's 15, but I am positive it didn't happen when he was a lot younger. Blacky also drools a little bit on rare occasions, and she never used to either.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Oh, and I had a cat named Merlyn that started drooling and he had a gum disease (I don't remember what it was called) but I had to give him steroid shots for the inflammation. But he was also pawing at his mouth and had trouble eating so I knew something was up right away.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies :)

Given that technically she isn't my cat, I can't say for sure if she hasn't issues with her gums/teeth/mouth. But sometimes we give treats such as small pieces of meat and she seems the chow down just fine with no discomfort. I'll keep an eye out. Is there anything else to look for regarding mouth/teeth problems besides the obvious? (discolored teeth, sores, pale/discolored gums)

But she seems to be in good health, so I guess I'll just take all the drooling as a compliment. Apparently I'm so amazing she's drooling over me. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Dexter is a drooler...

When he purrs or is in his "relaxation mode" he drools. It's so bad that sometimes I have to change my shirt.. lol.

As long as it's not constant, and only happening when he is totally relaxed, etc. then I wouldn't worry about it...

·
Registered
56 Posts
A lot of happy cats drool when being petted, as mentioned above.

So far as dental disease causing drooling, additional signs would include crooked or fractured teeth, partly extruded (sticking up father than the tooth on the opposite side, usually seen with the canines) or teeth with resorptions (cavities). If he only lets you glimpse his mouth severely inflamed and red gums are another indication of problems.

Though really it sounds mostly like happy cat drooling to me. Pain drooling usually involves think saliva in runners, happy drool tends to be thin and watery, from my observations.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Sammy never used to drool, he drools ALOT now when he's really getting into us patting him. He gets this kinda creepy look on his face and will sometimes shake his head, sending drool flying everywhere, it's gross! We love him though. One night, he was snuggled up so close to my face, purring so loudly and I was patting him.. Next thing, I have his drool land on my lip! I was so lucky it didn't drop INTO my mouth! Ewww!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts