Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was using scientific hills cat food , but not switching to blue wild wilderness....i had thought of going to wet food, and bought the most expensive you can buy, balance.....my cat does not like it, and prefers dry...is that normal?:catmilk

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Most cats prefer dry to wet, until they get used to eating wet. In fact, if the cat has not had wet food before (or for some time), they often won't even recognize that it's food at first. That said, wet food is better for them, so it's helpful to get them accustomed to eating wet food, or at least a partial wet diet. I think your cat is just a kitten, around 6 months old. It would be best to get him used to wet food now, since it will become more difficult as he gets older and gets more accustomed to dry.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i just gave him some wet, and hes eating...so i quess it just takes some introdutioin to it a few time.....i have been told dry is better for the teeth, but not sure overall if its better than wet..my vet suggested wet.......how about both?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It's unlikely that there are any dental benefits to dry food, if there are they are VERY minimal, not enough to make any noticeable difference or extend the amount of time he can go before needing a dental. And as you said, wet food is MUCH better for overall health.

My cats took FOREVER to switch onto wet, like a year, now that's all I feed them. I think they would have transitioned faster if I had ditched he dry earlier, instead I fed half and half for a while. The thing is, dry is addicting, like sugar. Neko goes nuts for kibble. He eats his wet but kibble is like candy, now that we have a dog he stares at the poor dog the entire time he eats and willt ake any chance to steal a piece, he'll occasionally push the dog away from his bowl and you'll hear the poor dog barking at him.

If you can afford to feed all wet food do that. If you can't then do a mix, some wet is better than none. I recommend feeding a variety of wet foods, mine will reject eating a food too many times in a row, that's what I was doing at first, just feedinf felidae wet. After a couple of weeks they completely stopped. Then I did the same thing with one flavor of wellness. Now that they get something different every day they never get tired of one.
Oh and your vet rocks, most vets preach dry.

·
Banned
952 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts