Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya again. ^_^ Just a few more questions about kitties and cats.

When I get my new kitten - I'll probably be feeding him and Tigger in seperate bowls since they have a diet difference.

I've decided that I want to feed them half wet and half dry. I've normally free fed the cat dry cat food - and so has the breeder for the kitty I will be getting soon - so I think they should be able to control themselves (I hope).

Questions about wet and dry cat food:

How much wet catfood should I give to Tigger (senior) and the kitty? Do I need to give the kitty 1/4 a can to make it a complete meal? or do I give him a whole can for every meal or a whole can each day?

If I decided to switch to an entirely wet catfood diet (I like the idea of giving them meat rather than dry crunchy icky pebble cat food)... but how much would I give them then? A whole can for each meal? half a can for each meal? I've not seen a kitty food bag or can in a while (something I want to check out tonight) so I'm not sure how much I can give them.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I was thinking about giving them science diet wet food. My current cat eats that food and my baby is eatting that kind of food as well (which is pretty cool). I didn't know if that would affect the answers or not.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I recently switched my 3 cats to a wet food diet. They were always free fed dry food before. I was actually going to post a similar question. I can tell you what I have been doing.

I feed them 2-3 times a day. I split up the food between 3 dishes. When they leave the dish. I pick it up and put it away. I keep hoping that they will sdjust to not being able to have food all the time. The only problem I have with it is.....it seems as if one of them is really not eating that much. I don't really know how much they are supposed to be eating. But according to the can, none of them are eating the full amount and one isn't eating anywhere near enough. I don't know how accurate the measurements are on the can though, so maybe they don't need to eat that much.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hopefully, queen of the nile will see this post and respond. She's had excellent results with an all-wet diet, and she can probably give you some insight.

I just recently switched my 8-yr. old cat to an all-wet diet, and he loves it. I notice that he now will eat all that I put out for him, but in the beginning, he would only eat about half. If by some chance, he doesn't finish it, I just put it up. I will feed them again at their next meal. My 8-yr. old is a big boy at 23 lbs, so I'm hoping this will help in some weight loss.

Good luck!

Lisa :)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
My kitties eat between 4 oz and 6 oz of wet food a day. That amounts to between 2/3 and 1 small can (tuna can size). The best way to know whether or not your kitties are eating enough is to take them in for a weight check every 3-4 weeks. If weight loss is too rapid (more than 1/2 lb a month), you need to find a way to feed the cat more. Cleo, my smallest cat, will not eat much wet food unless I keep on her. She gets easily distracted so I usually close her into a small room for 1/2 hr with her meal. She will usually eat the entire bowl if I close the door, whereas she will only take a few bites otherwise. I hope you can get them to eat a reasonable amount because I know that it can be a bit confusing at first.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I started Kitty and Thomas on wet food a few months back. Kitty only drinks the gravy. So far she's GAINED .2 lbs. So I must be doing something wrong!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for answering my question Queen ^_^ I was so worried I was going to overfeed them... or worse! Underfeed them. That makes me feel so much better.

I was thinking of free feeding them dry science Science Diet - and from what you told me I guess 1/2 a can of cat food if I want to feed them both dry and wet (so they'll just make up for what they are missing in the dry).

That - and if I decide I want to go for an all wet diet - I know what to do - thank you again!

·
Registered
983 Posts
My cat is 5 months old, and i'm feeding him 3oz of wet food a day, split between 8am and 3pm. also he has dry food left out all day for him, and water. Our breeder said this combination is good for our cat for the rest of his life, just to make sure to keep switching his dry food to the appropriate one as he grows.

I'm feeding Fancy Feast wet and Royal Canin dry. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts