Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had cats all my life and have always fed them stuff like Chefs Blend, Friskies….. I have never had any health problems with any of my cats, ever.

Right now I have a 6 year old female cat that has been spayed and a 1 year old neutered male.

When we got the kitten at 6 weeks I decided to give my babies a better food. I tried Purina One first and noticed that there fur was getting very soft and shinny. I went a step up to Pro Plan but very expensive. Doing some more reading I decided to drive a bit to the feed store to get Chicken Soup. I could really tell a difference in my older cat feeling healthier and a bit more active.

Well there just finishing up on there second 18 lb bag and just last weekend my female started peeing on the floor instead of her box. It didn’t seem like she was in any pain or straining but I knew something was wrong because she has never done this before.

I took her to the vets and ruled out an infection but they did say that her urine was concentrated most likely because she is not drinking enough water.

I’ve started giving her some can food mixed with a bit of water. I’m also giving her a bit of milk at times (not much though, don’t want diarrhea). I’m not at home during the day so I’m not sure if she is eating and drinking. I keep watching the litter box and I’m not seeing any evidence that she has been in there. She could be going other places and it would be hard to know unless it’s on the wood floor. I just hope it’s not a stone and she would need an operation.

My main question is: I know that most Urinary Track problems are caused from dehydration but since it is just now showing up could it be the dry food? Maybe it’s not making her thirsty enough to drink water.

I was thinking on just going back to Purina One or something from my local store.

Would like any input you can give.

Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, dry food is one of the primary causes of urinary tract infections. I tell my clients who have cats with bladder troubles, NO DRY FOOD. EVER. PERIOD. Well, I say it nicer than that...no come to think of it, that is exactly how I say it! :lol:

Cats eating dry food consume only half of the water of a cat eating wet food. Cats have a low thirst drive, so they must get much more dehydrated before they'll drink. This results in chronic dehydration, which drastically increases the chance of a problem occurring.

Lots more info in this article:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=017

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good article.

I wouldn’t mind going to can but dry is so much more convenient and no problems with any cats all my life until now and I have never fed a can food. This bites. But I want what's best for them. I would think dry would be good for there teeth and also has some stuff can food doesn't have.

I tried giving my 1 year old some can yesterday and he didn’t want anything to do with it. He’s never had it before. So I’m not sure I can convince him.

So if I was to go all can food. How much do you feed them each day?
Both cats are ideal weight right now.
My 1 year old weighs about 12 lbs and my 6 year old is about 11 lbs.

I know it would not be good to just go over to can all at once so what would be a good amount of dry to put out for both cats + how much can a day?

Thanks,
Debbie

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
The idea that dry food is good for the teeth is actually an old wive's tail. It would be very similar to you brushing your teeth with crackers. It has been clinically shown that canned food doesn't cause significantly more tartar than dry, so at least that part of it isn't a concern.

The average cat will eat about 6 oz of wet food a day. drjean recommends that you feed your cats as much wet food as they'll eat in one sitting (15-30 minutes).

I would say to do the switch over a week's time. So increase the amount of canned slightly every day and decrease the dry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thx

Right now I'm getting her to eat some of the can food with a bit of water mixed in and also a bit of milk each day, but I have yet to see her go into the cabinet to eat or drink and I haven't seen any litter disturbance. I'm not sure if she is going or not. She doesn’t seem to be hurting or uncomfortable in anyway. Definitely not active though.

I wouldn't think this is an emotional thing because nothing in our household has changed at all. No remodeling. No one changing habit like jobs or anything like that. No more or less animals. Same food and litter for the past 4 months. But then that never bothered her anyway.

I’m just hoping it's that she just needs to get more fluids in her. Poor baby I hate to see her unbalanced like this.

Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So tonight instead of taking the can food to my cat I picked her up and took her to the food in the kitchen. She took one bite and walked a few steps and wet on the carpet. She defiantly had no problems at all with signs of being plugged at all, gushed right out.

So after about 1 hr I again took the food to her and she ate some.

Not to be impatient but how long after she starts getting more fluids into her will she start using the box again? If this is the problem. Meaning how long should I wait until I take her back to the doctors for more tests?

She does sleep all day still but seems to be responding to affection more.

Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
347 Posts
You might try adding a water fountain as well. My girls drink twice as much as they did out of a regular bowl. There are a number of threads here about them. I have the petmate fresh flow (umm I think it's call fresh flow :oops: ) and ordered it from petsmart.com for 19.99.

The switch to wet food is probably the best thing but this might help out as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is an update on Molly my 6 year old.

Since she was not showing much improvement except we did see her go into the cabinet and eat some food once, I took her back to the doctor's anyway to get a blood test. I wanted to make sure her kidneys and liver were working OK.

Test came back good except dehydrated.

2 questions here…..

**** Would this alone make a cat pee all over the house, including a bed that she had been sleeping on for a few hours?

**** I know that can food with water as one of the first 3 ingredients is not good but for her which tends to get dehydrated wouldn’t that be a good thing?

I’m going to continue in giving her the can food but also reduced down to Prunia One for dry. Since I’ve never had a cat do this and with the ‘Chicken Soup’ I was feeding them having more protein I thought it might be to much for her system to handle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts